Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Coarse closed season to remain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post

Back in June I had a report or Romanians (Oh yes they were!) fishing the river in Oxford out of season. I phoned our local Enforcement Officer who had been there in the early morning and was in Swindon. He managed to get back in time and nabbed them in flagrante delicto and now they will go to Court, but just how many get away with it because WE are not there to keep an eye on the rivers?
    This is a great example of how the close season helps. These people would not be breaking any law if there was no CS after you can't report someone because they are Romanian. There's many non anglers who report anglers coarse fishing rivers in May and June

Blog Entries

I agree with steve2 commercial fisheries should have a closed season.
    Not to give the fish a few months off, sod the fish. I need a sodding rest, hauling fish week in week out is tiring me out. Even feeding my swim is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    Why surely? Well there would be boundary issues for starters, where would the close season apply and where would it stop

You've countered that with "Everyone knows which places are open or not" How do you know that? I couldn't tell you what waters are open all year round here, with the club waters it's easy but the day ticket and free venues, nah no chance. Given the geographical spread of rivers and their many riparian ownerships this would be chaos unleashed.

Any decision also has to be permanent how would a temporary trial work? How would reinstating a close season work? It would take a decade before any negative impact on rivers would be felt so would it be a long term trial?

Anglers on banks? What do they do again, stop cormorants? stop poachers? The latter benefit from well trodden easy access and seem pretty unperturbed by our presence

The fact that your post Kev has left so many questions would imply that it has to be one size fits all and permanent, or left as it is, just for simplicity if nothing else

If it ain't broke...
    Scissors paper rock...... same old points exchanged. We can leave the EU, enable Sunday trading, de-regulate vast swathes of the economy....... but the close season is writ in stone, the fixed centre of the ever-changing world.

I'm not a fundamentalist on the issue - I think we need evidence to move past the ritual arguments between people who have made their minds up.

I think the key point is we don't know and should be interested to find out. Anybody can raise a long list of questions, and claim any reform or trial is impossible to administer; equally, there are lots of questions to be asked about laws that were established in the foggy past and for which even the current authorities cannot adduce a sufficient rationale. We'll just have to agree to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    We'll just have to agree to differ.
    Absolutely, I'd actually go with the change if it was the other way round always kept an open mind, not saying i'd like it, but lots of things are set in stone for good reason and change doesn't always work.

Hugging a hoodie worked for knifecrime though

The idea of the closed season being set in stone, or based on any kind of scientific evidence is laughable. It exists because a bunch of matchmen realized that killing fish at an approximate time of breeding might just have an impact on their future sport. That was absolutely fair enough at the time. However, the dates for this closed season were always a fudge and the routine killing of netfuls of fish, at least by those with any genuine fishing interests, went out with the arc. The fudged dates have been fudged and fudged again since the original fudge.

History of the coarse fish close season | Canal & River Trust

The reality is that the coarse closed season would need to last from February through to August to genuinely cover the nationwide spawning periods of all coarse fish. The rivers would also need to be shut into autumn/winter to cover the salmonids.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

The reality is that the coarse closed season would need to last from February through to August to genuinely cover the nationwide spawning periods of all coarse fish. The rivers would also need to be shut into autumn/winter to cover the salmonids.
    Face it the only fish everyone seems to care about on rivers is barbel, they may not admit it but look at barbel threads, look at the two rod anglers 'carbelling' for them. Has anyone mentioned the breeding times for Dace and Pike in any close season abolishment arguments? Even the EA are fixated with barbel due to our fixation with them, that's the reality and species breeding outside the Cs that are bye the bye, or they may as well be in the eyes of many.

I like barbel but cant get my head round how anyone would want to fish for them whilst they are breeding, or advocate others doing so. They take the high ground that they would leave them alone and their club would enforce a blanket ban at that time of year. Hmm really? Look at the self imposed barbel ban last year due to the low water levels? I was roach fishing and the banks were empty until I packed up just before dark, yet every time come nightfall they all came out ironically to fish for barbel when the oxygen levels are lowest thinking no one will know they are there, selfish barstewards! Part of me has that shadenfruede element hoping the CS would go just so that all the summer anglers who fish for them would restore those rivers back to the chub and roach fishing by their own inadvertant making, but then you think they would just blame it on the otters and go back to fishing commercials

Blog Entries

I have my opinion on the close season,but one thing I do believe,all anglers that believe in it,should not fish on still waters,as a matter of conviction,I know Peter doesn't and admire his strength on the subject,others,well,they just say one thing and do another,because it's allowed,if the closure were to be changed,would they then fish unworried???

I like barbel but cant get my head round how anyone would want to fish for them whilst they are breeding,
    I can.....................

Coarse closed season to remain-bob-james.jpg
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

How many fish get caught when actually spawning,can't see them stopping having sexual relations to start eating,I've thrown bait at them,barbel included,the EA had a poll,then ruled against opinion,that's fine,but why have it at all....

Blog Entries

Last thing angling needs is more different byelaws around the country therefore it has to be a one size fits all policy surely?, hence the simplified yes/no/move consultation
    Not if it was up to the land owners and clubs to decide whether a closed season is needed on their own waters.

I am in favour of having a closed season on rivers especially where it can interfere with spawning and the other wild life in and around the water but I also know of quite a few stretches of deeper river that are constantly being disturbed by boaters and picknickers and walkers and runners and bikers etc. etc. and in these sort of places a closed season is often a quite futile exercise as far as the wildlife and bankside vegetation is concerned plus spawning gravel and weed beds are either non existent or in side streams or in off stream weedbeds (that’s if they did exist at all).

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 23-08-2019 at 20:09.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast