Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Water Temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    It's total bullshine too Rob,I've stood behind Keith Speers when he'd landed two big barbel,biggest 16lbs on the float in freezing conditions in January,another mate of mine had one 13lber and two fourteens in ice cold water,also on the float in february,that's success in summer,let alone in winter...
    I know, My PB came from a frozen Ivel and I'm still trying to catch a proper snow barbel - the irony is it isn't the water temps holding me back it's the lack of snow and the fact everyone else has the same idea and some places get rammed.

Carp feed ok too as mentioned but is there something to the Tench theory that they can go dormant?

Blog Entries

I've caught 6 barbel at Marford in the snow,had a few off the Ivel,D.Stour,nobody knows when I'm going to be hungry,why should a barbel be different,also minnows don't feed when it's really cold,so it's big fish or bust...

I've caught 6 barbel at Marford in the snow,had a few off the Ivel,D.Stour,nobody knows when I'm going to be hungry,why should a barbel be different,also minnows don't feed when it's really cold,so it's big fish or bust...
    When the F*&* did you find all the snow? Did you fish them all on the same day?
    Last edited by theartist; 29-08-2019 at 09:37.

nobody knows when I'm going to be hungry,why should a barbel be different?
    One possible reason is that, unlike a barbel, you don't take your body temperature from the surrounding water...... but I take your point that fish can surprise us when they choose to feed.
    Last edited by nottskev; 29-08-2019 at 09:55.

Blog Entries

No,but I am an old duffer,and snow only puts me off when it's first fallen,when driving is dodgy,we have snow every year don't forget,my back doesn't after I clear the beggars round my house....Also I haven't been a member of Verulam for quite a few years as the rat race got to much for me.

Prior to the last few winters It hadn't snowed round here for a couple of decades. I think water temps can actually be decent during the snow before the melt. I remember days fishing the Gade as a lad when it was inches deep yet felt really warm, I wish I took more photos that's for sure, Hate driving in it too, mainly because everything gets gridlocked.

For a couple of years I was also a member of Verulam. Marford short walk section was the nearest I have ever seen to a river commercial - it was horrible - most times you could not help but catch! Once I was so fed up catching barbel I moved swims, legered a single grain of hemp in desparation to get away from them and immediately had yet another barbel!

In rivers I believe that the temperature of 39.2F seems to be critical. At this temperature, water is at it's heaviest, and a very small change from this figure can back a lot of difference to what fish will do. I.e. A good angler could catch fish at 40f but at 39, or below, it would more likely be a blank.....................unless it had stayed at 39 for a few days...
    Last edited by barbelboi; 29-08-2019 at 10:28.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

When someone states that it’s a load of cr@p because they’ve caught Barbel in freezing cold weather themselves, I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that; we also caught Barbel in the snow on a couple of occasions, and I think that it’s not the cold that prevents them from feeding at all.

Our results seemed to indicate that It was the overall ‘temperature trend’ over a couple of days (or more) and not necessarily the temperature on the day that made the difference.

If the temperature had been fairly steady for a day or two or had begun to rise very slightly after a steady period, even when temperatures were near zero, then the Barbel would often tend to feed. Maybe not as much as during the summer and autumn periods but they could still be caught with snow on the ground and in extremely low temperatures.

But whenever the temperature began to drop steadily it was nearly always the kiss of death for us.

NB: Our experimental data was done on the river Kennet back in those days, and not on the Lea at Marford Farm where they are often queuing up to take our baits .

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 29-08-2019 at 12:50.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

I didn't say it was cr@p,but it isn't something that is written in stone either,so until it is I will continue to fish and take my chances,blanks happen in perfect conditions,where is the science in that,in good swims where you know fish are,fish aren't going to feed as well in cold conditions,that is obvious,do they shut their mouths totally,absolutely not,scientific study is not absolute proof,as we see every week on the TV....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast