Best meat stops I’ve ever used...

John Keane

Reaction score
These are cheap as chips and on eBay, from China, with a quite a fast turnaround.

20Pcs Fishing Bait Stop Boilie Holder Meat Lures Screw Connector Tackle Terminal | eBay

They’re soft and pliable and I’ve started using them by punching a hole through the meat with a bit of the straw from a can of WD40, it’s a tight fit but, the meat being greasy, the stop pushes through easily.

There is a small hole at the top of the stem for the hook to go through, hence creating a “hair rig” of sorts.

You can hit your cast as hard as you like and the meat won’t fly off.

Think they’d be great for barbel anglers and can accommodate around a 1” cube (barbel anglers who bait up with half a tin of Spam, your scepticism is noted)

Attachments

• BA2E6F92-E2DD-4406-8719-BA1E9106C141.jpeg
    BA2E6F92-E2DD-4406-8719-BA1E9106C141.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 62B24CE0-44DF-415E-969A-EE587E9F1AC4.jpg
    62B24CE0-44DF-415E-969A-EE587E9F1AC4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 311
  • BBB72045-14C9-430B-BA0E-E2245B3E99C0.jpg
    BBB72045-14C9-430B-BA0E-E2245B3E99C0.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 92C28453-1BAA-4CB7-AF48-CF57EDA826AE.jpeg
    92C28453-1BAA-4CB7-AF48-CF57EDA826AE.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 328

john step

Reaction score
John, seeing that the "hair" part is stiff, have you found you get hook ups OK? If so I will order some.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't think I will try them, using a big 10s hook a simple piece of grass works just fine.

steve2

Reaction score
I don't think I will try them, using a big 10s hook a simple piece of grass works just fine.

I once was asked if I had any spare bait stops because an angler had left his at home. I told him to use a piece of grass or reed under the hook like me. He wouldn't use it because it didn't look right. I have used it it for years and it looks and works alright for me.

rayner

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Guru luncheon meat grass cutter

If angling companies thought they could rob us of a few more quid they would produce a grass cutter in a flash.
But anglers do ignore simple and go for anything more technical, even if it is just a piece of plastic.

John Keane

Reaction score
If angling companies thought they could rob us of a few more quid they would produce a grass cutter in a flash.
But anglers do ignore simple and go for anything more technical, even if it is just a piece of plastic.

Presumably then you are still fishing with a greenheart rod, wooden starback reel and gut line, since most modern tackle is just an expensive update of all the old stuff?

rayner

Reaction score
Presumably then you are still fishing with a greenheart rod, wooden starback reel and gut line, since most modern tackle is just an expensive update of all the old stuff?

No you are totally wrong, old style tackle has it's place, the bin.
Neither am I the kind to fall for gimmicky bits of plastic, especially ones that could hinder hooking.
I not against anyone who would fall into the catch of tackle made to catch anglers, to use a well worn phrase. They use what they like.

John Keane

Reaction score
Neither am I the kind to fall for gimmicky bits of plastic, especially ones that could hinder hooking.
I not against anyone who would fall into the catch of tackle made to catch anglers, to use a well worn phrase. They use what they like.

They didn’t hinder hooking the carp I caught on meat the other evening nor did they let the meat fly off on a long cast like grass does when it pulls through the meat.

steve2

Reaction score

There are those that still do and it doesn't stop them catching, like we always say each to their own. But I prefer not to use even more plastic in this plastic covered world.

rayner

Reaction score
They didn’t hinder hooking the carp I caught on meat the other evening nor did they let the meat fly off on a long cast like grass does when it pulls through the meat.

Might just as well call it a day on these particular ways of keeping meat on the hook, I have no wish to argue about the need for help with hooking bait.

Jelster

Reaction score
In years gone by, even before hair rigs, we would pull a hook through a piece of meat with a baiting needle, turn in 90 degrees so the point was just showing, and then place a short piece of dried spaghetti in the hook bend.

Worked wonderfully in 1975 when I had my first Carp, and worked well for tench too. In fact, I have a couple of pieces of said dried food in my bag "just in case" as it makes a great hair stop too.

Now I do feel old.....

John Keane

Reaction score
Might just as well call it a day on these particular ways of keeping meat on the hook, I have no wish to argue about the need for help with hooking bait.

That’s strange, I thought you liked arguing?