Good (non-how to do it) Fishing Books (NOT how to do it)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Baz,

In my humble opinion you can't beat it.

Get to the lake about early afternoon, get set-up, bait goes in and fish until a couple of hours after dark, then a decent meal, and turn in with a great read and a cup of coffee.

The stuff of dreams as far as I'm concerned, then up a few hours before dawn, a little more bait goes in and then a hearty breakfast then fish until about mid-day.

You might not catch as much as the 'fanatics' but you will have a great weekend.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

That's the kind of session that we should all be aiming for Peter. It should be made law.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
OMG why dont we have a 'book social' we could all turn up at a nice lake set up, catch a few fish then as darkness falls we could all congregate at a spot and sit together and read books and swap chat over a few glasses of Merlot ?

What say you chaps and chapesses ? We could call it Baz's Law.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Medlar Press "Classics" are well worth a look as Mark says.I have "Trout of the Thames" by Hobbs and JW Martins book and they are both brilliant reads if you want a snapshot of how it was in their day.Martins description of fishing The Trent in particular is a real eye opener. These reprints of classic angling books is a great idea and they are lovely books to own too.The "Classics" series includes what IMO are Yatesey's two best books..."Casting" and "The Deepening Pool".Both brilliant and [again IMO] far better than anything else he's done.

I'm a dreadful nostalgia monkey so I like the "old" books.At the Tail of the Weir by Chalmers is one of my favourites and if you like game fishing "A Man may Fish" by Kingsmill Moore is outstanding.

Coch Y Bondhu do take Book Tokens...at least they do if you visit the shop.

And my final recommendation right out of left field "Permit on a Fly" by Jack Samson.Pioneering SWFF in the 60's.Absolutely brilliant.

Skippy

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I found this...............

stonewalkerletters.jpg

is agreat read, couldn't put it down - when I finished it I went back to the start and read it again!

Peter Stone was my main 'insperation'during my youth.

Maggie

Reaction score
trev (100M bronze) wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>

OMG why dont we have a 'book social' we could all turn up at a nice lake set up, catch a few fish then as darkness falls we could all congregate at a spot and sit together and read books and swap chat over a few glasses of Merlot ?

What say you chaps and chapesses ? We could call it Baz's Law.</blockquote>

Great Idea./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

keora

Reaction score
I recommend:

John Aston's excellent "A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" . I believe it 's been remaindered and can be bought from Coch y Bondhu books.

Chris Yates "How toFish"

Charles Rangely Wilson "SomewhereElse" - mainly game fishing, some coarse, with some elegant woodcuts.

If you like trout then"**** Walker's Trout Fishing", is the book to buy, again it's half price from Coch y Bondhu. It's a compilation of his many articles about trout. Even though the articles are atmore than 20 years old they haven't dated. When I read the simplicity of his prose, and the originality of his ideas, I realise how good an angler he was.

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
Another slightly obscure fishing related book I read was by the late Eric Morecombe, can't remember what it was called but absolutely absorbing and quite humerous as you would expect from a such "giant" of comedy.

Maggie

Reaction score
I joined the Medlar Press site last night and ordered 'Deepening Pool - Chris Yates'.

That waterlog magazine on there looksexcellent I might subscribe to that as well.

I will use my book tokens at the weekend.

I'llneed to get myself another bookshelf now /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Maggie,

The Waterlog magazine is quite unique in the realm of angling press.

It has a very wide, and interesting, content and I think it is the best 'read' going.

I hope you enjoy the Deepening Pool, my copy is just about falling apart since I've read it so many times.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"I recommend:

John Aston's excellent "A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" . I believe it 's been remaindered and can be bought from Coch y Bondhu books"

I'd second that Keith.Great book even at full price.

I am enjoying Yates' "Out of The Blue".Very interesting to see his writing talents applied to sea fishing.

Have subscribed to Waterlog since issue 1. Do it today.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
ok then they sound like great books to bring to the Baz's law social. One weekend in Feb or mar suit anyone ? If we can get a list of who wants to participate and where they live we can choose a venue thats between most and get summit sorted

Maggie

Reaction score
Someone on our club forum showed us this (Old Fishing Books )a lotof them can be downloaded completely in PDF files, Theres one there written in the 19th century about fishing inthe Thames and its tributaries including the Lea up to Hertford (The London Anglers Book - 1834 - John Baddeley), whichlooks quite interesting. I didn'thave time to browse further but there appears to be a few gems there. there are a couple of editions of 'Waltons The Compleat Angler' there as well. I think it's interesting to see what fishing was like in times gone past, especially if it was written about waters near to where you live.