Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: New or second hand

Either will do for me, I have certain preferences and I would say 75% of my gear was bought new. Rods I’ll consider, a reel would have to be very well looked after for me to buy 2nd hand. I won’t buy anything that looks like it’s been knocked about. My own kit is washed/wiped down as it’s needed.
    Floats I have a few I’ve been given ( late brothers) or bought at car boots. All are repaired or repainted as required, my clear wagglers are pound shop specials at least 5years old.
    New kit is generally bought at reduced prices last years models etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I came back to angling 4 years ago and have bought around over 50% of my gear second hand.
    It pays to know what to look for and what’s reasonable in terms of prices.
    Beyond that the bargains you can get are superb.
    How long did you have off? Fishing has changed so much over the years must be a shock for people coming back into the sport.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

There are undoubtedly some great bargains to be had when buying second hand, but having witnessed the way some anglers treat their rods, reels etc., I'd want to undertake a full inspection before parting with my cash.

In the past I obtained a pair of Daiwa reels from a well known match angler (the man in red) and he had them serviced prior to sending. I also bought a black Magic pole from the same angler and when it arrived it was close to new . . . . and I still use it on occasion even today.

To my mind it is always a decision based on condition when looking to but second hand.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I don't buy much either way. That is until Satan comes along to tempt me

I usually buy new but have bought second hand recently. I wouldn’t buy second hand without seeing the item first.

I remember Tigger telling me of the nightmare he had returning a second hand Normark rod that was supposedly in mint condition but was far from that. The seller sent him unsigned cheques, disputed the condition and said it hadn’t been returned, if my memory serves me right.

I recently bought a bivvy in mint condition that was over £500 new, I paid the guy £200 and I know that I could have bought a new bivvy for £200 but not of such a high spec or quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

I have bought both new and 2nd hand, also i have sold tackle to members on here, I look after my tackle, i cant see the point of spending £1000+ on a pole and treating it badly, I have seen poles for sale with overwrap repairs done on a few sections and the comment "does not affect the action of the pole". If that is the case why do not manufactures sell them with damaged sections,? A seatbox brought out last year at a stupid price had the claim that it was so many percent lighter, so why not keep previous years model and put less in it,?

Erudite, useful and helpful like I said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    Nowt wrong with a good cleavage
    Exactly Daniel,shame I didn't mean that....

Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    Nowt wrong with a good cleavage
    Or as in my Lady's case, cleaverage. I will leave you to work that out. Pete
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Exactly Daniel,shame I didn't mean that....
    I'm in no boat to take mickey out of typos with the amount I do, but I still do
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast