New or second hand

mikench

Reaction score
I looked at a rod recently but was put off by a filthy cork handle . I know it will clean but I couldn't fish with a rod that was filthy so what is the rest of the rod like. The seller also put up a high price and invited offers. I made a low one and suddenly it was rejected because an opening bid had been made. How coincidental.:wh

daniel121

Reaction score
I suspect that others will believe that I'm as close to being that bloke as anyone. However, there are a couple of big issues. I don't actually want the newest stuff, I want what I think is the best stuff. When it appeared on the market is largely irrelevant to me, provided it's not been hammered. Another snag is that I very rarely sell anything. When I do, it's because I have something better for whatever niche, the niche is no longer needed, I have duplicates, or someone I know wants/needs it more than I do. I often won't hammer folks I know on price, but I try to avoid giving stuff away.

The whole concept of "tackle tarts" selling cheap is just a tired, lazy cliche. If you are going to find new gear at bargain prices, it's usually from unfortunates that overspend, often on credit, on impulse purchases, only to find that they can't feed themselves at the first sign of an unexpected bill.

Older fellas, with few pressing financial concerns and a distinct lack of willingness to embroil themselves with ebay, are the biggest source of second hand bargains I've encountered. Chances are that they've had the finances to buy whatever they wanted. They don't particularly need the money, they just want things gone.

How can you possibly tell from an ebay advert? Who knows what the circumstances are.
The only thing you can tell is that it's stated as being used once. However, as the pictures show a manky, uncleaned handle, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. There are three very obvious possibilities, a) the bloke didn't like the rod. b) the bloke has had an unexpected bill. c) the bloke has had a big change in personal circumstances, maybe even gave up fishing entirely.

Just because someone sells something, it doesn't mean that they bought it for the sake of it.

I don't know it its the truth, you don't know its a lie either. That's the nature of the second hand market, you have to take your time find some kit you think is what you are looking for then throughly inspect it before you buy it.

I have seen first hand evidence of what can be brought with my own eyes, I'm not saying it's easy or without effort but I am saying it is possible. If you believe that or not is up to you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't know it its the truth, you don't know its a lie either. That's the nature of the second hand market, you have to take your time find some kit you think is what you are looking for then throughly inspect it before you buy it.

I have seen first hand evidence of what can be brought with my own eyes, I'm not saying it's easy or without effort but I am saying it is possible. If you believe that or not is up to you.

Daniel, you've missed the point I was making to you entirely. You made the assertion that the bloke that was selling the rod you linked was an example of someone that had "bought something for the sake of it". I say that you can't tell that at all. It's a possibility, but people buy and then sell stuff for all sorts of perfectly valid reasons that go way beyond them just having bought it for the sake of it.

In that respect, your response makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wont buy off ebay or other auction type sites, mainly because i dont have an ebay account, but friends i know have, the other reason is taking a chance on what is on offer, As for selling for various reasons, one of mine is i will buy to sell on and try and make a bit of profit, or buy what i may consider a better rod/reel/seatbox etc than what i have and sell my own on. I sold my Shimano margin pole the other year, and now that is one of the few items i have regretted selling, Apart from that i have been happy with my efforts.

Richox12

Reaction score
Many modern rods are just re-hashes of older rods with slight differences in their build just to make them a little different or a little cheaper to make.
Greys, Drennan and a lot of other rod makers have been guilty of this in the past. Keith

'with slight differences in their build just to make them a little different' - so they are different then. Not the same and a 'new' model. Why is anyone 'guilty' of incrementally changing things ?

steve2

Reaction score
Have put some reels on the for sale page. All very good condition all bought new by me so will now be second hand.

Keith M

Reaction score
'with slight differences in their build just to make them a little different' - so they are different then. Not the same and a 'new' model. Why is anyone 'guilty' of incrementally changing things ?

I should have added the word ‘look’ into that sentence ie, “just to make them look a little different”.

They are guilty of incrementally changing things ‘just for changes sake’ if the changes don’t improve the rod in anyway whatsoever or the replacement model is not as good as the one it’s replacing.

However this sort of practice is quite common and makes good business sense as it generates extra cash when you create a new version of a rod whether it’s better or not; which has sometimes been the case.

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Feedback for private sellers is a good indication of whether they can be trusted. Anyone with 100% positive in the thousands (like myself) can have their selling history trawled through and past photos studied (well for the last 90 days anyway) and that will give a good indication of whether their tackle is a safe buy.

Gumtree is often a source of great bargains and you buy face to face on inspection of the goods. I’d NEVER buy sight unseen from Gumtree.

PS: markcw your Shimano Beastmaster Margin Pole is still going strong with additional top kits and the extension to 10m