Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default New or second hand

My son has started buying a lot of second-hand kit when he decides to bite the bullet, in particular expensive kit like seatboxs and poles. Which previously wasn't so expensive, I've covered and debated this with your guys in the past in my topic Consumerism in fishing, so this thread is not to travel old ground but will may thread close to it, if I'm 100% honest.

Benefit from getting a second hand kit with a few more bells and whistles for your money but "last years model", you can pick it up for a fraction of the price from your local "tackle tart" who must have the this years model. Are we are starting to get like young women with pretty dresses, rather than fishermen looking for a practical solution to make our sport easier?

I must admit, since I've been educated on how to use the internet I cannot believe how easy it is to find such treasures. However the benefits of new kit practically rods and pole is you know the history of them. Pole's can be very brittle if mistreated the more expensive they are the more brittle they become, but a rod pod, seatbox, bite alarm they pretty much are what they are.

what's your guys preference new or used?
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Default Re: New or second hand

Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    My son has started buying a lot of second-hand kit when he decides to bite the bullet, in particular expensive kit like seatboxs and poles. Which previously wasn't so expensive, I've covered and debated this with your guys in the past in my topic Consumerism in fishing, so this thread is not to travel old ground but will may thread close to it, if I'm 100% honest.

Benefit from getting a second hand kit with a few more bells and whistles for your money but "last years model", you can pick it up for a fraction of the price from your local "tackle tart" who must have the this years model. Are we are starting to get like young women with pretty dresses, rather than fishermen looking for a practical solution to make our sport easier?

I must admit, since I've been educated on how to use the internet I cannot believe how easy it is to find such treasures. However the benefits of new kit practically rods and pole is you know the history of them. Pole's can be very brittle if mistreated the more expensive they are the more brittle they become, but a rod pod, seatbox, bite alarm they pretty much are what they are.

what's your guys preference new or used?
    New, if heavily discounted, used if it’s a real eBay find or on Gumtree at a silly price.

I personally don’t believe that this years must haves are better than last years must haves. Ebay is full of good quality fishing tackle that been dumped because it’s out of date not because its no good.
    I have a large number of second hand items in my tackle shed rods, reels, lures all because it the time they are what I wanted and had been discontinued.
    Also have a large number of rods and reels that I advertised but not sold because it seems people want new shiny tackle.

Blog Entries

Certain gear as you say stands the test of time,also if you know the person/persons your buying from you know the reliability,pretty much,imo rods have not changed alarmingly in more than ten years,maybe twenty,especially at the top end back then,I have rods I would not dream of selling that are older than that and for the reason that they are comparably good and usable to anything about today,I've bought two rods this year,both good,both relatively cheap,did I really need them,probably not....seat boxes,or match boxes as I call them are a waste of time and a fashion item,because they don't help you fish any better and yes,I have one,i ,when not using groundbait use the tray underneath my tray to keep any items I'm using whilst fishing to hand,ie hook tyer,shot,hooks etc,as going into the seat box drawers is time consuming,these boxes are heavy,even the newer lighter models and I would be unlikely to buy another and not second hand,carp accessories yes...
    Last edited by whitty; 01-09-2019 at 10:04.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    I personally don’t believe that this years must haves are better than last years must haves. Ebay is full of good quality fishing tackle that been dumped because it’s out of date not because its no good.
    I have a large number of second hand items in my tackle shed rods, reels, lures all because it the time they are what I wanted and had been discontinued.
    Also have a large number of rods and reels that I advertised but not sold because it seems people want new shiny tackle.
    I agree, they simply are not better than last years model. If I'm honest with you I am convinced most are not different at all, just a different paint job, artwork or bag. I believe companies are literally looking to create the new product hysteria, which gives them a nice little spike in sales. Gone are the days when something worked and it lasted, I don't believe we will have another "maxima line" or "Sensas lake 3000" because they will get discontinued and rereleased as something different over and over.

I'm very similar to yourself regarding buying things that discontinued, although I make a lot of things myself from scratch so I can always get it. I like to add x and y and get the same result everytime.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

Prefer new myself. Not because it's the latest greatest but there's always a risk with SH stuff. Rods are tricky unless you've had first hand experience. Buying new you get the opportunity to try and hand/send back if it doesn't suit. As you've said, bits and pieces I probably would buy SH but they're rarely available when I want them and I usually want them NOW

I came back to angling 4 years ago and have bought around over 50% of my gear second hand.
    It pays to know what to look for and what’s reasonable in terms of prices.
    Beyond that the bargains you can get are superb.

Good gear is good gear, regardless of when it was available to buy new. Those that believe that nothing new is any good are kidding themselves. Likewise for those that believe that nothing old is any good. I buy lots of kit, some second hand, some new. If I buy new, it's rarely at full price. When I buy second hand, I'm very careful. That's the snag with second hand, some people treat their gear appallingly. Their idea of good condition and mine are a million miles apart.

Ultimately, if you want the best, new or old is largely irrelevant. It's largely about identifying what might be best for you. If you aren't that bothered about condition or having the best, just buy the biggest bargain you can find (i.e. the biggest reduction on the retail price), new or second hand. It's actually quite difficult to buy a really bad rod or reel, provided you are sensible enough to avoid buying one that's unsuitable for the task in hand.

Blog Entries

100% Chris,the only issue is most of this stuff is on ebay and you can get mugged with broken rod tips if your not careful....
    Last edited by whitty; 01-09-2019 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    100% Chris,the only issue is most of this stuff is on cleavage and you can get mugged with broken rod tips if your not careful....
    Nowt wrong with a good cleavage

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast