New or second hand

daniel121

Reaction score
My son has started buying a lot of second-hand kit when he decides to bite the bullet, in particular expensive kit like seatboxs and poles. Which previously wasn't so expensive, I've covered and debated this with your guys in the past in my topic Consumerism in fishing, so this thread is not to travel old ground but will may thread close to it, if I'm 100% honest.

Benefit from getting a second hand kit with a few more bells and whistles for your money but "last years model", you can pick it up for a fraction of the price from your local "tackle tart" who must have the this years model. Are we are starting to get like young women with pretty dresses, rather than fishermen looking for a practical solution to make our sport easier?

I must admit, since I've been educated on how to use the internet I cannot believe how easy it is to find such treasures. However the benefits of new kit practically rods and pole is you know the history of them. Pole's can be very brittle if mistreated the more expensive they are the more brittle they become, but a rod pod, seatbox, bite alarm they pretty much are what they are.

what's your guys preference new or used?

John Keane

Reaction score
My son has started buying a lot of second-hand kit when he decides to bite the bullet, in particular expensive kit like seatboxs and poles. Which previously wasn't so expensive, I've covered and debated this with your guys in the past in my topic Consumerism in fishing, so this thread is not to travel old ground but will may thread close to it, if I'm 100% honest.

Benefit from getting a second hand kit with a few more bells and whistles for your money but "last years model", you can pick it up for a fraction of the price from your local "tackle tart" who must have the this years model. Are we are starting to get like young women with pretty dresses, rather than fishermen looking for a practical solution to make our sport easier?

I must admit, since I've been educated on how to use the internet I cannot believe how easy it is to find such treasures. However the benefits of new kit practically rods and pole is you know the history of them. Pole's can be very brittle if mistreated the more expensive they are the more brittle they become, but a rod pod, seatbox, bite alarm they pretty much are what they are.

what's your guys preference new or used?

New, if heavily discounted, used if it’s a real eBay find or on Gumtree at a silly price.

steve2

Reaction score
I personally don’t believe that this years must haves are better than last years must haves. Ebay is full of good quality fishing tackle that been dumped because it’s out of date not because its no good.
I have a large number of second hand items in my tackle shed rods, reels, lures all because it the time they are what I wanted and had been discontinued.
Also have a large number of rods and reels that I advertised but not sold because it seems people want new shiny tackle.

Reaction score
Certain gear as you say stands the test of time,also if you know the person/persons your buying from you know the reliability,pretty much,imo rods have not changed alarmingly in more than ten years,maybe twenty,especially at the top end back then,I have rods I would not dream of selling that are older than that and for the reason that they are comparably good and usable to anything about today,I've bought two rods this year,both good,both relatively cheap,did I really need them,probably not....seat boxes,or match boxes as I call them are a waste of time and a fashion item,because they don't help you fish any better and yes,I have one,i ,when not using groundbait use the tray underneath my tray to keep any items I'm using whilst fishing to hand,ie hook tyer,shot,hooks etc,as going into the seat box drawers is time consuming,these boxes are heavy,even the newer lighter models and I would be unlikely to buy another and not second hand,carp accessories yes...

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I personally don’t believe that this years must haves are better than last years must haves. Ebay is full of good quality fishing tackle that been dumped because it’s out of date not because its no good.
I have a large number of second hand items in my tackle shed rods, reels, lures all because it the time they are what I wanted and had been discontinued.
Also have a large number of rods and reels that I advertised but not sold because it seems people want new shiny tackle.

I agree, they simply are not better than last years model. If I'm honest with you I am convinced most are not different at all, just a different paint job, artwork or bag. I believe companies are literally looking to create the new product hysteria, which gives them a nice little spike in sales. Gone are the days when something worked and it lasted, I don't believe we will have another "maxima line" or "Sensas lake 3000" because they will get discontinued and rereleased as something different over and over.

I'm very similar to yourself regarding buying things that discontinued, although I make a lot of things myself from scratch so I can always get it. I like to add x and y and get the same result everytime.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Prefer new myself. Not because it's the latest greatest but there's always a risk with SH stuff. Rods are tricky unless you've had first hand experience. Buying new you get the opportunity to try and hand/send back if it doesn't suit. As you've said, bits and pieces I probably would buy SH but they're rarely available when I want them and I usually want them NOW:)

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I came back to angling 4 years ago and have bought around over 50% of my gear second hand.
It pays to know what to look for and what’s reasonable in terms of prices.
Beyond that the bargains you can get are superb.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Good gear is good gear, regardless of when it was available to buy new. Those that believe that nothing new is any good are kidding themselves. Likewise for those that believe that nothing old is any good. I buy lots of kit, some second hand, some new. If I buy new, it's rarely at full price. When I buy second hand, I'm very careful. That's the snag with second hand, some people treat their gear appallingly. Their idea of good condition and mine are a million miles apart.

Ultimately, if you want the best, new or old is largely irrelevant. It's largely about identifying what might be best for you. If you aren't that bothered about condition or having the best, just buy the biggest bargain you can find (i.e. the biggest reduction on the retail price), new or second hand. It's actually quite difficult to buy a really bad rod or reel, provided you are sensible enough to avoid buying one that's unsuitable for the task in hand.

Reaction score
100% Chris,the only issue is most of this stuff is on ebay and you can get mugged with broken rod tips if your not careful....

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Either will do for me, I have certain preferences and I would say 75% of my gear was bought new. Rods I’ll consider, a reel would have to be very well looked after for me to buy 2nd hand. I won’t buy anything that looks like it’s been knocked about. My own kit is washed/wiped down as it’s needed.
Floats I have a few I’ve been given ( late brothers) or bought at car boots. All are repaired or repainted as required, my clear wagglers are pound shop specials at least 5years old.
New kit is generally bought at reduced prices last years models etc.

daniel121

Reaction score
I came back to angling 4 years ago and have bought around over 50% of my gear second hand.
It pays to know what to look for and what’s reasonable in terms of prices.
Beyond that the bargains you can get are superb.

How long did you have off? Fishing has changed so much over the years must be a shock for people coming back into the sport.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are undoubtedly some great bargains to be had when buying second hand, but having witnessed the way some anglers treat their rods, reels etc., I'd want to undertake a full inspection before parting with my cash.

In the past I obtained a pair of Daiwa reels from a well known match angler (the man in red) and he had them serviced prior to sending. I also bought a black Magic pole from the same angler and when it arrived it was close to new . . . . and I still use it on occasion even today.

To my mind it is always a decision based on condition when looking to but second hand.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I usually buy new but have bought second hand recently. I wouldn’t buy second hand without seeing the item first.

I remember Tigger telling me of the nightmare he had returning a second hand Normark rod that was supposedly in mint condition but was far from that. The seller sent him unsigned cheques, disputed the condition and said it hadn’t been returned, if my memory serves me right.

I recently bought a bivvy in mint condition that was over £500 new, I paid the guy £200 and I know that I could have bought a new bivvy for £200 but not of such a high spec or quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have bought both new and 2nd hand, also i have sold tackle to members on here, I look after my tackle, i cant see the point of spending £1000+ on a pole and treating it badly, I have seen poles for sale with overwrap repairs done on a few sections and the comment "does not affect the action of the pole". If that is the case why do not manufactures sell them with damaged sections,? A seatbox brought out last year at a stupid price had the claim that it was so many percent lighter, so why not keep previous years model and put less in it,?