carp behaving badly

bennygesserit

Reaction score
this last 2 weeks the carp fishing has been great but they have been a bit lively in the net

I usually unhook mine by holding the net between my knees

I caught a 10lb plus fish that flipped from head to tail about 10 times - this was after a very good fight

when playing carp I try to lead them in by holding the tip of my rod in the water

the other week one flipped and embedded the hook quite badly into my finger

I tried using forceps to unhook but that only weakens the hook

disgorger is better but still awkward

I use quite a big landing net

I do have an unhooking mat

Other than not fishing - any recommendations ( or not fishing for carp ) :)

mikench

Reaction score
I suffer the same issues Benny and do not have an answer. I struggle with small hooks sometimes. Catching gudgeon is a pleasure as they are always hooked neatly through the top lip and can be held firmly in the hand. Small perch are a pain and carp flip and flap and sometimes shed the hook and save me the trouble.

Is golf simpler?:)

Reaction score
Use a priest first....

Joking...

John Keane

Reaction score
this last 2 weeks the carp fishing has been great but they have been a bit lively in the net

I usually unhook mine by holding the net between my knees

I caught a 10lb plus fish that flipped from head to tail about 10 times - this was after a very good fight

when playing carp I try to lead them in by holding the tip of my rod in the water

the other week one flipped and embedded the hook quite badly into my finger

I tried using forceps to unhook but that only weakens the hook

disgorger is better but still awkward

I use quite a big landing net

I do have an unhooking mat

Other than not fishing - any recommendations ( or not fishing for carp ) :)

F1s are particularly prone to net gymnastics. I keep my unhooking mat under my chair and slide it out when the fish is in the net, I can then dump the net on the mat between my feet and have both hands free to sort the beggars out and they can’t harm themselves by repeatedly doing the Fosbury Flop.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I use barbless hooks and as Mike finds, the hook usually ends up coming free of its own accord; failing that:

Once I've got the fish in the landing net, I pull the landing net back to the bank and leave it there in the water with the net pulled over (so that it can't jump out) to allow the fish a while to recuperate (depends on the fish as to how long, few minutes normally) - I have a relatively deep triangular net which allows me to do this; if I can I will un-hook the fish in the water by holding the fish under the head gently while I remove the hook - you do run the risk of getting wet, normally in the winter :doh:, but not very often. I can use this recuperation time to wet my mat.

My net has a quick release gizmo, so I release it which means I only have to worry about the fish and the net. I carefully lift the fish out of the water and place it on the mat, rolling it onto its side, again folding the net over the fish, then I pour some water over it which seems to help keep it calm. Holding the fish on its side with one hand, I remove the hook using the other.

I think that the biggest thing is to keep the fish moist by gently pouring water over it when needed - too much too quick doesn't seem to help.

My twopeneth :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I may use smaller hooks than some on here, when fishing for match sized carp upto 10-15lb or F1s, largest being a size 16. I use a disgorger because as has been stated forceps may damage the hook, My net is normally a 22/24" pan net, Once in that they dont seem to try and flip flop around, on the odd occasion they do, i grip the carp by holding it in the net mesh, I unhook with net across my knee, and depending on which landing net handle i am using at the time, it will either have a short removable top section of around 12", or a quick release attatchment at the end, once unhooked the fish is either returned to the water or slipped into keepnet if a match, I have an unhooking mat with me but that is very rarely needed.

Philip

Reaction score
If your having problems unhooking them in the net then I would use the mat. Yes it will take longer but its better than damaging the fish or yourself.

Hold the Carp for a few seconds in the net up in the air above the mat and let it do its initial thrashing around. Then put it on the mat in the net. Keep the net covering as much of it as you can, this will help to control it. Kneel on either side. If it starts to thrash place both hands on it and hold it down till it stops. Try to remove the hook with your fingers first if you can. If you can’t, for small hooks a disgorger will probably be easier then forceps. Use the rod top to apply tension to the line. Basically reel in till you have a slight tension to pull against. You can also hold the line in your mouth but I prefer the rod top. If the fish thrashes stop the unhooking process and place both hands on it again till it calms down. Once the hook is removed place it and the rig well away outside the net and mat.

Sometimes covering the fishes eyes with the net or a (wet) cloth can help to calm it. Other than that, basics, don't keep them out of the water too long, keep them wet, don't panic etc etc.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I use barbless hooks and as Mike finds, the hook usually ends up coming free of its own accord; failing that:

Once I've got the fish in the landing net, I pull the landing net back to the bank and leave it there in the water with the net pulled over (so that it can't jump out) to allow the fish a while to recuperate (depends on the fish as to how long, few minutes normally) - I have a relatively deep triangular net which allows me to do this; if I can I will un-hook the fish in the water by holding the fish under the head gently while I remove the hook - you do run the risk of getting wet, normally in the winter :doh:, but not very often. I can use this recuperation time to wet my mat.

My net has a quick release gizmo, so I release it which means I only have to worry about the fish and the net. I carefully lift the fish out of the water and place it on the mat, rolling it onto its side, again folding the net over the fish, then I pour some water over it which seems to help keep it calm. Holding the fish on its side with one hand, I remove the hook using the other.

I think that the biggest thing is to keep the fish moist by gently pouring water over it when needed - too much too quick doesn't seem to help.

My twopeneth :)

At the larger fish lakes at anglers paradise I do exactly the same, unfortunately
I find handling larger carp more of an issue nowadays, but to be fair to me most of my fishing in my life has been on rivers for smaller fish.

I think from the match Fraternity and this would be too slow, my lad has very little problems he's in and out in a flash. To be honest I think it's practice practice practice

John Keane

Reaction score
Seatboxes and unhooking mats don’t really go together and mats go better with chairs. When I was match fishing I had a pole support bar on my footplate where the rim of the net was placed during unhooking and the fish transferred directly from landing net into keepnet.

seth49

Reaction score
Try holding them upside down, for some reason that seems to quieten them, and as mentioned cover there eyes, that will quieten any animal.

nottskev

Reaction score
I only find myself catching carp very occasionally, so I can't add anything. But I've seen a few videos of these big-weight carp matches, and I've noticed that anglers who spend most of their time doing this type of fishing seem to be using relatively small landing net heads which at times barely fit the fish in. I'm guessing the idea is that once in, the fish are held in one position in the net and unhooked without being removed. I'm sure these blokes, who are surrounded by every conceivable accessory, would get bigger nets if they thought it would help!

This angler seems to have got it down

YouTube

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I only find myself catching carp very occasionally, so I can't add anything. But I've seen a few videos of these big-weight carp matches, and I've noticed that anglers who spend most of their time doing this type of fishing seem to be using relatively small landing net heads which at times barely fit the fish in. I'm guessing the idea is that once in, the fish are held in one position in the net and unhooked without being removed. I'm sure these blokes, who are surrounded by every conceivable accessory, would get bigger nets if they thought it would help!

This angler seems to have got it down

YouTube

Kev thats why i use a 22" pan net, i did use an 18" at one time but the fish seemed to be getting bigger at the venues, so i found a compromise in 22",also i dont use one with deep sides, i find it hinders unhooking with net across knees.

John Keane

Reaction score
Where I fish mid-doubles aren’t uncommon and I find a 20” Drennan Matchpro net gets them in and isn’t too deep.