Waters you won't be going back to

rayner

Reaction score
I have a season ticket for a water I have refused to fish, had the ticket for three years. Over the time I've been a ticket holder the track to the venue has gone down hill. So much that it is now unusable for vehicles, at least to my opinion. Pot holes have become more like bomb craters.
The fishing is outstanding but the track is certainly unsafe.

mikench

Reaction score
I would have thought @Mikench would have known what we were on about due to Duelling Banjos being the unofficial national anthem of Wilmslow and surrounding area, and where people greet each other with the saying "High Six".

That's news to me Mark and I've lived here over 30 years. I cannot explain the strange feeling I had being alone on a secluded lake in the middle of thick woodland . Spooky is the only word I can come up with.

Anyway I chatted to a club member on another water today(see HDYGO thread) about the pool in question. He said many members felt the same and that it was a very difficult water and it was not worth going in sunshine and when the water was very coloured after heavy rains as the pool is fed from a stream. Both of these conditions prevailed yesterday. The guy i spoke to, a bailiff on another water had caught carp over 25lb , pike to 22lb and tench to over 5lb. He insisted there were a lot of big roach as well but you have to pick the right conditions. He nearly always fished alone and it was hardly ever fished.

I reckon I might go again but only if Tigger comes as well.:rolleyes::behindsofa:

nottskev

Reaction score
There's a big commercial complex a few miles out of town. On my (only) visit I saw anglers lined up on the bare mud banks of a recently dug and newly stocked lake. I fished the original, mature lake, found it empty and started to chuck a maggot feeder for chub to the small island in the middle. Others came along, set up nearby and started chucking their feeders within a yard or so of mine - this was normal, I was told. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

I used to love fishing canals, and the local cut, wherever I was living, was often the first choice - the Shropshire Union, Leeds -Liverpool, Bridgewater, Trent and Mersey. I know I'm missing out, and canals are fishing better than ever these days, but they've changed and I've changed, and the traffic, on the water and on the towpath, is too much for me. (Although I make an exception for the beautiful, semi-disused, tench-filled Grantham canal).

I keep buying the ticket (if you don't you cop for the joining fee again) but I realise I haven't fished the Lower Derwent for nearly two years. It had been a lovely, prolific fishery but when anglers who knew it far better than me could only scratch a few grayling, the contrast made it too depressing to visit, and I can't see myself going back.

john step

Reaction score
I will never,ever fish the River Witham again,I I fished and practiced div1 nationals and hated it,three matches I fished the river flowed the wrong way and yes it was definitely backing up and fished awful...

The Witham is a very weedy water in summer now.

There is a large commercial carp lake I will not return to after one visit. Beautiful place, full of carp. full of very well fed carp in fact. I have never seen such a bombardment of boilies hour after hour. Why should they bother with one with a hook attached.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I wish i hadn't drawn that inference now.:rolleyes:

Calm down Alan.:wh

I was perfectly calm Mike:confused:,you quoted two films,I quoted from one,end of,seems odd to follow this path,unless I'm missing something,which is probable,due to my inter breeding!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was perfectly calm Mike:confused:,you quoted two films,I quoted from one,end of,seems odd to follow this path,unless I'm missing something,which is probable,due to my inter breeding!!!

Years ago i was in Wilmslow having a drink, and got talking to a guy at the bar, At the end of the night he, asked if i would like to go back and meet his wife, and sister, i thought "yep, I am in here" So we went back to his house, and there was only one woman there.!
:wh

mikench

Reaction score
S
Years ago i was in Wilmslow having a drink, and got talking to a guy at the bar, At the end of the night he, asked if i would like to go back and meet his wife, and sister, i thought "yep, I am in here" So we went back to his house, and there was only one woman there.!
:wh

You were definately in Warrington Mark. No banjos Alan but I saw the bright eyes of gators and heard a very good rendition of la Jole blon.:

YouTube

I'd go back just for the music y'all!

YouTube

Last edited:

bezzer

Reaction score
Only 1 venue I've fished which I won't ever return to and that's Bob's Island. What an absolute dump. Litter everywhere. Not just the usual scummy anglers leaving tins, line and GB bags, but fly tipping rubbish strewn all over the place. Hated the place.
I know a lot of people love it and on the whole the fishing is good, but there are plenty of other day tickets on the Trent where I can spend my money.

Reaction score
The club water I went to yesterday is normally spotless,but some dirty scumbags had left a bag full of sh1t,an empty two litre plastic water bottle,an empty sweet corn tin,the lid being three yards away from the tin itself,all in the locker carpark,people are just filthy b@st@rds...

Specihunter

Reaction score
Every lake and river hahaha nath there is one up here where yes I've caught some fish, but I wont fish unless I have too.

Reaction score
I went to watch an old mate fishing on Friday and whilst we were chatting his mobile rang,what was his ringtone,the banjo music from the deliverance,I immediately thought of this thread and had a chuckle...