Waters you won't be going back to

mikench

Reaction score
I guess we all have a few. As a member of a large club with hundreds of waters I try and fail usually to go somewhere different heading on auto pilot to the ones I like, feel comfortable at and am familiar with .This morning I felt intrepid and tried a new water which I had visited once but not fished.

View attachment 7472

The blurb indicated specimen fish of all varieties. Well the pool is in deep woodland off single track unmade roads and not easy to find. I should have turned back but pressed on. The place is , well downright spooky. If I was transported there and without the noise of aircraft at Manchester Airport I could well believe I was in the Everglades in Florida, or Bayou Teche( James Lee Burke fans will know this) in Louisiana or in the back of beyond in Tennessee . It has a feel of Deliverance or Southern Comfort and it's a disconcerting one.

View attachment 7473

It looks like it should offer good fishing and maybe it does but I won't be back to find out.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Sad you felt like that, but sometimes we get a feeling things aren’t quite right. So your probably quite right not to go back.
There’s a local lake near me 5 minutes drive but I’ve walked it a couple of times and I just get that “not right “ feeling so I’d not fish it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few venues that I went to once and would never, ever, go back to.

The one that really sticks in my memory being Broadlands Lake . . . . this place is situated "close to a junction 2 on the M27" and to be totally honest it may well have been ON the bloody M27 for all the noise.

All night long there was a constant hum from traffic tearing past the lake and it was so bad that I had packed up and left by 5am the next day . . . . . and I had set up well away from the road as well

I was not enamoured either at the welcome from the two lads in the hut which was rather icy, and you were made to feel pretty unwelcome in all honesty, so personally, I'll never go back there.

steve2

Reaction score
One place I won’t get back to for totally different reasons is a private lake on a very private estate.
I got permission along with my wife to visit and fish the lakes but this was only after a background check into us.
Once cleared we were meet at the gates by the security/ gamekeeper and taken to the lake. We had a very enjoyable days fishing and the owner’s wife actually brought us some drinks and sat down for a chat.
We never went back because the security on the place got tighter following a break in. But I can still picture the place and this woman carrying this tray of drinks.

There are many other places I won’t go back because they are not as I remember them.

Reaction score
I guess we all have a few. As a member of a large club with hundreds of waters I try and fail usually to go somewhere different heading on auto pilot to the ones I like, feel comfortable at and am familiar with .This morning I felt intrepid and tried a new water which I had visited once but not fished.

View attachment 7472

The blurb indicated specimen fish of all varieties. Well the pool is in deep woodland off single track unmade roads and not easy to find. I should have turned back but pressed on. The place is , well downright spooky. If I was transported there and without the noise of aircraft at Manchester Airport I could well believe I was in the Everglades in Florida, or Bayou Teche( James Lee Burke fans will know this) in Louisiana or in the back of beyond in Tennessee . It has a feel of Deliverance or Southern Comfort and it's a disconcerting one.

View attachment 7473

It looks like it should offer good fishing and maybe it does but I won't be back to find out.

'you sure have got a pretty little mouth' Mike...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I fished Broadlands a few times in the 1980s, pretty much always in matches and found it a fair but tough venue if a little noisy. It was frustrating inasmuch that every time the roach started to be 'caster' fish ie 4 to 6oz they'd be netted out and sold and we were back to 50 to the pound 'pinkie' fish. I never won there but framed a few times and it was a good team match venue. In the years since there have been some very good roach in there but it;'s very much an expensive carp water now so I won't be going back.

I once got to practice on the Trent and Mersey Canal near Burton on Trent for a Div 1 National in 1991. Apart from failing to sleep in the noisy B&B the canal was like a concrete trough and I set of for home after two sessions and didn't fish the National, nor did I return.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll never say never, but there are loads that are very unlikely. Most revolve around distance. If I fish the Warwickshire Avon, Lochnaw, Linear Fisheries (or the club pits in the same area), South Cerney/Lechlade gravel pits, any of the Somerset drains/rivers/ponds, the lakes at Longleat, The Thames, Wraysbury area pits etc, I'll be very surprised. Definitely not a case of wouldn't, but I probably won't.

Then comes the local stuff. Places I don't go because I don't like what they've become, or what they've always been. There are a few, but I may revisit them yet. There have been more than the odd local waters that I doubted that I'd ever fish/fish again. All it takes is a slight change for that to go out of the window. Places that you think you'll be fishing until you shuffle off this mortal coil become pointless. Places that aren't worth the time and effort now can be transformed in no time at all.

Reaction score
I will never,ever fish the River Witham again,I I fished and practiced div1 nationals and hated it,three matches I fished the river flowed the wrong way and yes it was definitely backing up and fished awful...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve got a venue.........The sea!

Actually I will return, see my HDYGO post in a moment or two.

mikench

Reaction score
I'd rather go back to the lake with no bait.:rolleyes:

Has Alan been watching too many movies?:censored::censored:

nottskev

Reaction score
It looks like a beautiful place - come on, Mike, give it another go! The missing anglers probably just expired while on the waiting list for that club you're in! A bit of solitude beats being driven nuts by noddies.

daniel121

Reaction score
I do understand the eerie feeling, there was a section of water down on the notts anglers book at thrumpton years ago, unsure if they still have it or not? Every time we went there something strange happened, I gave it plenty of chances but in the end. You guessed it, it's the place I'll never return too.

Reaction score
In truth I don't watch too many movies,but I have seen 'deliverance',quite harrowing,well it was to me anyway...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would have thought @Mikench would have known what we were on about due to Duelling Banjos being the unofficial national anthem of Wilmslow and surrounding area, and where people greet each other with the saying "High Six".

terry m

Reaction score
The inexplicable, yet clear and definite gut feeling of feeling unsafe is something that for me is a rare experience, but it is always heeded.