Pre-tied hook links.

John Keane

Reaction score
My Mum, now departed, used to sit in front of the tv knitting. She regarded that as recreational rather than a chore.
I rented a caravan on a fishing lake from a guy who ties hooklengths to top up his pension and made a decent whack out of it.

Personally I don’t think I could enjoy doing it for hours on end, hence why I buy them, but I’m sure there are people in the world who may see it as a decent career option in the circumstances they are in. They may think there are worse ways to earn a crust, perhaps?

I used to tie flies for a tackle shop in Liverpool and I’m a reasonably quick tier and you definitely can’t make a living at it.

Richox12

Reaction score
I suppose the next questions will be who is tying them. They must be very good at it to get each one the same length. Wonder how much they get paid for what must be mind numbing work?

What does it matter who ties them ? You would be very good at tying them if you tied millions. That's a lot of practice ! Tying to the exact same length is easy - that's normal or standard practice when you tie your own to fit in a box. Same as with loop knots being same size - it's easy.

Reaction score
Not only that,if someone was tying them in this country they could still be taken advantage of and probably would be,where I worked,it was freezing in winter and I mean cold,the toilets had the light taken out above them so you couldn't read a paper(or wipe your bum)and the health and safety was pathetic...

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
What does it matter who ties them ? You would be very good at tying them if you tied millions. That's a lot of practice ! Tying to the exact same length is easy - that's normal or standard practice when you tie your own to fit in a box. Same as with loop knots being same size - it's easy.

Which brings us back to the opening post, who really cares ?

Reaction score
Whether we care or not matters not a jot,we are fortunate to have been born here,in other third world countries pay rates are low and working conditions are poor,that is why the western world gets things produced there and many probably lie through their teeth about that too,because many co's and production managers are just pieces of work,that's why they get to where they are...

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Well I have no reason to dis-believe guru that they are tied by hand. And somebody therefore is tying them.

I very much doubt whoever it is will be in a Western economy.

That doesn’t necessarily mean they are being exploited and for me, personally, I have no qualms in buying them unless I’m convinced otherwise. I’m always open to change my mind though.

Reaction score
Probably some eight year old somewhere...