Pre-tied hook links.

Andy M

Reaction score
Does anyone know how these are manufactured - by machine or by hand or maybe a bit of both. I tried a brief search on the internet but nothing came up. I hope they are not being largely hand tied and packed in sweat shops in some remote corner of the globe! If so they are off my shopping list.

Reaction score
Would you rather they starved??? I understand your feelings but if you don't buy them,someone else will. That said they could well be machine tied,I don't know,I have tried my own since the dark ages....

Andy M

Reaction score
No I wouldn't but nor would I wish to line the pockets of tackle companies if they are not controlling where and how their products are manufactured.

John Keane

Reaction score
The Guru and the Preston ones are so consistent in length and loop size I assume they must be machine tied although god knows how?

steve2

Reaction score
No I wouldn't but nor would I wish to line the pockets of tackle companies if they are not controlling where and how their products are manufactured.

Then this would rule most things in life that are manufactured cheaply then sold for profit. That is the way the world works.

John Keane

Reaction score
Then this would rule most things in life that are manufactured cheaply then sold for profit. That is the way the world works.

Yep, and anyone using any of the 101 things with palm oil in is complicit in murdering orangutans!

nottskev

Reaction score

Fair point. Trying not to support companies that blatantly exploit workers is also part of the way the world works, as is showing an interest in how things get produced, not just what they cost to buy.

daniel121

Reaction score
I would think they are machine tied, I personally don't use and have never trusted shop brought pre tied hook links there are people who tie them up by hand and ship them out in this country, via ebay. If you wish to pay someone to do it in good liveable conditions.

BTW we all should do our best to stop businesses exploiting people however doing it via political movement is more effective than individuals boycotting, is my opinion on the sub topic. If we did that we would have to boycott most things including many rods,reels and probably the computer you are writing this on!

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I’ve begun using pre tied hooklengths from guru as both time and fiddliness of tying large amounts banded hooklengths was too much. I still tie normal hooklengths myself but will probably stop this when my supplies dwindle.

I hadn’t really considered the manufacturing process but thought that the slight extra cost would support the tackle shops I use.

I’d be interested to find out how they are made.

The guru ones are excellent by the way.

daniel121

Reaction score
I hadn’t really considered the manufacturing process but thought that the slight extra cost would support the tackle shops I use.

I’d be interested to find out how they are made.

The guru ones are excellent by the way.

After reading this section of golden eagles reply I felt the need too expand on mine further.

Firstly I'd like to say, my reasoning for never trusting shop brought pre tied hook links is outdated, the last pre tied hook link I inspected was well over 25 years ago therefore I hold no quality view on today's shop brought hook links.

Secondly, I've never used the hand tieing services but here's a link to one I referred to in my first post

Hand Tied Hook Lengths | Hand Tied Pole Rigs | Made to order - by Ashley Francis
Hand Tied Hook Lengths | Hand Tied Pole Rigs | Made to order - by Ashley Francis

rich66

Reaction score

While I understand your point and agree to a point. We have to take into account what a fair days pay is. I’ve no idea of cost of living in say India but it’s got to be far less than here in the UK for instance. So as long as they are getting a fair wage for their economy then I see little problem. Maybe I’m being to simplistic?
Or just tie your own and do your own boycott while also enjoying another facet of our sport.

John Keane

Reaction score
Friends of mine who are keen match fisherman have stopped using the Guru hooklengths because of breakages on the loop knot. My mate and I have switched to the Preston ones and we’ve had the odd breakage. Tying them yourself with trusted line and hook brands seems to be the best solution but I really can’t be ar$ed to commit the time.

Andy M

Reaction score
While I understand your point and agree to a point. We have to take into account what a fair days pay is. I’ve no idea of cost of living in say India but it’s got to be far less than here in the UK for instance. So as long as they are getting a fair wage for their economy then I see little problem. Maybe I’m being to simplistic?
Or just tie your own and do your own boycott while also enjoying another facet of our sport.

I totally agree my original point, perhaps poorly expressed due to haste, was that I would not wish to knowingly support exploitation of workers not to deny them a fair days pay. If they are being paid a reasonable wage for the country in which they live no problem. And as for flippant remarks re "thats the way the world works" and palm oil kills orang-utans less said the better. And just for the record having spent the majority of my working life in developing countries I do know the difference between fair pay for a fair days work and exploitation of vulnerable people in all its forms.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Would you rather they starved??? I understand your feelings but if you don't buy them,someone else will. That said they could well be machine tied,I don't know,I have tried my own since the dark ages....

Yes but in fairness you do work 18 hours a day in a Drennan hooktying sweatshop, who can blame you for sneaking a few out.

steve2

Reaction score
I suppose the next questions will be who is tying them. They must be very good at it to get each one the same length. Wonder how much they get paid for what must be mind numbing work?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
My Mum, now departed, used to sit in front of the tv knitting. She regarded that as recreational rather than a chore.
I rented a caravan on a fishing lake from a guy who ties hooklengths to top up his pension and made a decent whack out of it.

Personally I don’t think I could enjoy doing it for hours on end, hence why I buy them, but I’m sure there are people in the world who may see it as a decent career option in the circumstances they are in. They may think there are worse ways to earn a crust, perhaps?