Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weed problems...

Can't you float fish at a depth above the weed or weed depth?

Blog Entries

It's not really even enough Mike,the weed that is. It's heartbreaking,because I think I'd get more big fish if it was cleaner,I'd like to put twenty inches of line on the bottom.

A very buoyant bait popped up a fair distance over the weed that will continue to pop up when pulled down so never gets into the weed regardless of how many tugs it gets sounds like the easiest solution if you want to fish a lead. Fishing the lead as well on a paternoster link with something buoyant glued to the paternoster swivel will also keep that clear of the weed & allow a free passage of line to the indicator.

Another option if its Roach the target - fishing on the drop with a float and regular feed to try to bring them up in the water.

Third option if its rare single bites from big fish…neutral balanced baits and rigs weighted to sink so slowly that it stops an rests on top of the weed tops. Great for summer cruisers over thick weed but any drift will knacker it.

All that said in truth I personally would spend allot of time trying to find any areas that are clear of the weed and fish those...assuming they exist. As a few other have said as well baiting a spot regularly you can get the fish to clear an area for you. Hemp is good as its so small they will root around for ages digging up the bottom to get at it and uprooting the weed but you need patience for this, it wont happen over night
    Last edited by Philip; 09-09-2019 at 19:58.

Blog Entries

I've fished wafters,floating plastic baits,I've caught,well at times,the bottom has areas better than others,but these areas aren't good fish holding areas,for whatever reason the productive parts of the lake have always held fish,when there was weed or not... Though I fish for roach,there are plenty of gooduns over two,they sometimes,like on Saturday won't come up in the water,as I say,I also don't want to rule out the bigger fish that makes you wonder what the next bite will produce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12