Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  59
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Shotting for a stick float

I know Tigger, formerly of this parish, would advocate a float of the proportions of those Woody’s bolo floats for fishing small, shallow rivers .... but i’d Certainly not call that “stick float fishing”.

Steve2 ... yes ... I use different shooting patterns for different purposes and understand exactly why i’m Using them. Don’t always get it right but equally try different set ups to maximise the catch.

Despite it being very much against the grain for most, I use 3 and 4g Bolo floats for an awful lot of my river fishing. However, you are talking about a fast shallow river where the touch of the smallest minnow sees the big tip bury. With that being the case, the big tip of a bolo float also allows me to trot an awful long way and still be able to see the float.

This week I've been fishing a slightly slower and deeper river. My usual Bolo floats are pretty much useless. Maggots will come back sucked dry without you noticing any hint of movement on the float tip. Therefore, stick floats are back in play, though I still favour the heavier end of the spectrum mainly to facilitate casting with a centrepin.

I also find that little but bulk shotting is particularly effective. For this reason, I tend to use olivettes. The only shot I bother with are to make small adjustments on how much tip is visible However, I know full well that, if I were fishing a slower lowland river, lighter stick floats and multiple shot/shirt button shotting would come into play depending on the target species.

Silvers, why are you bringing me into a topic about how to shot a stick float?
    I don't see how my float preference has anything to to with how to shot a stick float?
    Plenty top experts on FM to answer the question so leave me out of it.
    Last edited by tigger; 12-09-2019 at 09:45.

Blog Entries

Stick float fishing to me is really based on 3no.4 to 8no.4 floats,to me these are for delicate-ish presentations,which are too numerous for me to remember off the cuff,above these shootings I use Avons,balsas,chubbers or bolos,years ago floats like pacemakers were used,on a two to four feet deep river I would normally start on a 3/4 no.4 float,unless wind makes it awkward,however that goes out of the window if I fish the 'pin',5/6bb minimum float sizes seem to work best to me,often double that,depending on pace,it's a minefield really,years ago I believed on a normally level river all shots down the line had to be no.8's with a no.10 tell tale,often today I use olivettes and two no.8's and catch well more often than not(on the pin)...

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Silvers, why are you bringing me into a topic about how to shot a stick float?
    I don't see how my float preference has anything to to with how to shot a stick float?
    Plenty top experts on FM to answer the question so leave me out of it.
    oh - you're back!
    I was actually trying to make the point that Sam Vimes made in the following post more eloquently - there are different styles that suit different venues, approaches and people.
    the floats in the photo were similar to your preferences - that's all.
    Your methods clearly work - but perhaps are not optimal for the situation in question, although details are scant (i'm not familiar with the Dane other than photos).
    hope you're keeping well and catching :-)

Quote Originally Posted by silvers View Post
    oh - you're back!
    I was actually trying to make the point that Sam Vimes made in the following post more eloquently - there are different styles that suit different venues, approaches and people.
    the floats in the photo were similar to your preferences - that's all.
    Your methods clearly work - but perhaps are not optimal for the situation in question, although details are scant (i'm not familiar with the Dane other than photos).
    hope you're keeping well and catching :-)
    My method on saturday just gone (on Mikes intended water) was to use a 3 gram bolo float, guess what?...it worked, surely that can't be right?
    Last edited by tigger; 13-09-2019 at 09:25.

Blog Entries

On the relatively small rivers and streams that I usually trot I use both Avon’s and Sticks and am rarely able to trot further than around 20 to 30 metres and more often than not no more than around 12 metres because of bends and weed and protruding branches across the river; so I don’t think I really need to use the extra weight of a Bolo float although I’m open to giving them a go just to see.

I usually use a Stick float shotted about every 6 inches or so with size 6 shot with one or two size 8s closer to the hook. I occasionally place my No.6 shot in pairs if there is not enough depth and I need to add a bit more shot for the float I’m using.

I usually change over to a crowquill Avon or even a balsa if I’m fishing a swim that is a little more pacey and/or turbulent and a bit deeper so I can use the extra shot to get my bait down to feeding fish a bit faster and easier; but I prefer the Avon which doesn’t seem to ride up quite as much as the balsa because of its more pronounced shoulder.

Most of my shotting is loosely based on one of the following three shotting patterns depending on the pace and depth of the water, the bait I’m using and how and whereabouts in the water the fish are feeding on the day.

I don’t profess to be an expert by any means but this has always worked for me.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 12-09-2019 at 16:50.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi Tigger,
    agree with all of that apart from your preference for small bolo for close range work.
    Shot close to the hook - I always sigh when I read of people who don't put their tell tale within 10 inches of the hook on the waggler. I sometimes put a no.4 within 2 inches!
    I still have a tendency to fish too light - so consciously counteract that when setting up.
    Different methods are optimal for each situation, feeding pattern and day. finding that optimum is part of the enjoyment of the day for me.

Nice catch BTW
    Last edited by silvers; 12-09-2019 at 16:48.

Blog Entries

Nice diagram Keith,I don't think there is such a thing as an expert in the methods within trotting,on tiggers rivers they are turbulent,boily and fast in the main,rivers like the Trent can be similar,but often when fishing the stick there you are fishing for roach,which often require little refinements to maintain a decent catchrate,chub can be the same,but on quick boily water,control with a bigger float gives good presentation,I don't think silver's was questioning the effectiveness of the bolo(which is basically an Avon anyway),or tiggers ability to catch on it,horses for courses I reckon,I reckon the bolo float might work well on the Thames in winter,once the first flushes raise the pace,on my local rivers a float over 4AA would be a rare tool indeed...
    Last edited by whitty; 12-09-2019 at 16:55.

Tigger is a fine exponent of the art of trotting and his success speaks for itself.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast