Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Shotting for a stick float

When I first started realising there were better floats than a porcupine I read up on the matter. A short publication marketed by Ultra Floats by the maestro Billy Lane was compulsive reading.
    I started off trotting with a selection of Billy Lane avons which I found were extremely versatile.
    I still have a few which are pressed in to service. In fact if the avon was the only one top and bottom float available I dont think catches would diminish much at all.

Blog Entries

Billy didn’t like the stick float at all and much preferred using the Avon float.

I still have his brilliant float fishing book where he describes all of the floats of the day and when and how to use them, and I still look through it on a cold winters night.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I only really trot for grayling, which doesn’t require a great deal of sophistication and my bad eyeshite dictates that I use Drennan Loafers in 3.2 or 4.4g with Hi-Viz tips. I keep 6ft ready tied rigs on pole winders and, since most of the weight needs to be down the line, I use in-line olivettes as my bulk.

I think you'll find that Billy Lane wasn't so much against using stick floats as against misusing them as the fad for stick floats saw them being used in circumstances where other floats would suit the bill far better (excuse the pun!).

Undoubtedly if I was restricted to one type of float for running water I would choose the Avon in a selection of sizes . Regarding the use of stick floats if you read Billy lanes 3 books is views did actually change regarding the use of stick floats in the last book published ,he accepted the stick as a great running water float and used the wirestem version as a favourite.

Blog Entries

If you can find a copy Mike, then Billy Lane's "Encyclopaedia of float Fishing" is an excellent tome and covers most every type of float you are likely to ever need to use.

It might be from the early 70's but most of the information in there is still pretty much valid today, and let's face it, there have never been a more successful float angler than Billy Lane

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Do you have a water butt in your garden Mike? I use mine to get the shotting required on my stick floats just right.
    And if you do, keep hold of the line; if you let go and you've overshotted the float, it will end up at the bottom. How do I know.....

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    And if you do, keep hold of the line; if you let go and you've overshotted the float, it will end up at the bottom. How do I know.....
    Get hold of a tall sweet jar or one of those clear plastic containers that come filled with zip ties or bungee cords. Great for shotting pole rigs or any floats for that matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I think you'll find that Billy Lane wasn't so much against using stick floats as against misusing them as the fad for stick floats saw them being used in circumstances where other floats would suit the bill far better (excuse the pun!).
    You are most probably spot on Mark, I bow to your wisdom; but he certainly didn’t sound that keen on them when he wrote in the 2nd print of his book in 1976 ‘Float Fishing tackle and techniques for still and running water’ (which is the book I have); In chapter 5 ‘The Avon Syndrome’ Billy was comparing the Avon with the Stick Float and below a diagram showing both the conventional Stick and wire stemmed Stick both shotted shirt button style he writes:

Quote:
    Here, for me, you see all the disadvantages of the stick float, shotted here to the now classic string-of-shot pattern with shots evenly distributed between tell-tale and float. These disadvantages are such that I haven’t had a Stick Float on my line for more than two years, and I don’t expect I shall ever use one again. That’s how strongly I feel about it.
    He does write later in this chapter; when comparing the normal stick with the wire stemmed Stick; that the ‘wire stemmed Stick’ is the only Float he would use in place of an Avon, in an upstream wind when conditions are perfect, but he goes on to say :

Quote:
    In the case of the wire-stemmed Stick this adds up to the fact that it can only be used when conditions are perfect. The slightest roughness caused by wind or water turbulence and the immediate need, in my view, is for a switch to the more stable Avon. Now, I am sure, you can see why I said earlier that I would only use such a float once in a hundred times.
    This is why I thought he didn’t really like the Stick Float. However if he did change his views over time; as trotter2 indicated; then that would explain why he could have mellowed in his views about using the Stick.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 13-09-2019 at 16:55.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I used a spaghetti jar in the end . I used a 6x 4 stick float which sank until I removed 2 of the size 4 shot. I cannot understand why.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast