Shotting for a stick float

mikench

Reaction score
I plan to go on the river, a shallow one about 2' to 4' and have some 4,5and 6g stick floats. What would be the likely amount of shot needed for these either bulked up or in a string ?

I am hopeless with shot sticking to preloaded floats for most of my fishing. I have other river floats but these are marked and may be more suitable in the circumstances I find myself in.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a water butt in your garden Mike? I use mine to get the shotting required on my stick floats just right.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rough guide as shot does vary between manufacturers

4g will need either 2 x no4's or one BB

5g takes 2 x no4's plus 2 x no 10's

6g takes 2 no 1's

This table might help: Shot conversion chart — Angling Times

It is best to try and change as and when necessary , , , , , Remember that you can chop and change using equivalents as well . . . . .

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Split shot

8g
6 x AAA
2SSG
3.2g
4 x AAA
LG
3g
LSG
2g
SSG
1.6g
2 x AA
AAA
0.8g
2 x BB
AB
0.6g
2 x No1
BB
0.4g
2 x No4
No1
0.3g
3 x No6
No3
0.25g
2 x No6
No4
0.2g
3 x No9
No5
0.15g
2 x No8
No6
0.1g
2 x No10
No8
0.06g
2 x No11
No9
0.05g
No10
0.04g
2 x No12
No11
0.03g
3 x No13
No12
0.02g
2 x No13
No13
0.01g

flightliner

Reaction score
S63s suggestion is a good one .
Many floats have suggested shotting marked on them but are often way off the mark.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For the size of float/depth Mike think 1 x no 4 for each foot of depth - unless the flow is very strong then up size to compensate.............

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Are you sure these are 'stick' floats, Mike? 4 grams is 10 BB which is way outside normal stick float size. A light stick would take 3 no. 4, a medium one 5 no. 4 and a heavy one 7 no. 4. Do you have a picture?

bracket

Reaction score
Mike. For 95% of my river fishing I use a stick float, because that is what I like to do. There have been numerous threads on this subject and the only real conclusion was that everyone has their own take on it. This is mine. I work on a rule of thumb, one No 4 shot per foot of water, in a medium paced current. So for a 4 foot swim, a shot load of 4 to 5 No 4s would be a good starting point. Using PJ's shotting chart, that would be around a one gram float. That said I would actually use only No 6 and No 8 shot on the line. I prefer to have several shot on the line to allow for permutation. If you shot up with a a couple of heavy bulk shot and a couple of droppers, that is a simple rig which will easily work, but gives you very little option to do anything else. A float set up with say, 6 No 6 and 4 No 8 will give you a variety of possibilities. That's just my opinion. I work on the premise that to begin with most fish will be in the bottom third of the depth. When using a 6 No 4, 4 No 8 float I would put a No 8 dropper shot 8 inch from the hook, with another 6 inch above that, and 6 inch above that I would start a bulk shot with 1 No 8 (This No 8 gives you the option to move it down and have 3 droppers x 4 inch apart, rather than 2 droppers x 6 inch apart, if needs be) the remaining 6 No 6s I string shot, half a inch apart from the third No 8 shot. This is a personal preference, you can bulk them together if you wish. Finally, the last No 8 shot goes tight under the float stem, as a depth marker. Over riding all this is the need to put your float where the fish are, as S-Kippy says, don't fish too light. I attach my floats to the line with 3 rubbers, which allows me to quickly change the float. If I needed to cast further out, on a steady flow, I would change to a heavier float, leave the down the line shots as they are and add the extra lead needed to cock the float, directly under it (with the No 8 depth marker). Hope you can make sense of this. Pete.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Do you have a water butt in your garden Mike? I use mine to get the shotting required on my stick floats just right.

I don't John but I do have a very deep bucket from beer brewing days. I will use that. Thanks to all contributors.

The floats are Woodys with a wire stem and have the figures 4,5 and 6 g on the side. I have a couple of similar Maher floats which say bolo on them. I'll post a pic.

View attachment 7528View attachment 7528

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
3,4 or 5 no4 sounds big enough for what you described, Mike. River Dane, by any chance?

Splitting the shot into smaller ones is the way to go.

It can be a bit fiddly to put lots of small shot on on the bank, especially if the set up is new to you. A good way around this is to make up some rigs at home on 6 or 7 feet of line, put the shot on and store it on a winder - the sort pole anglers use. If you can attach a hooklength loop to loop, and I'm assuming you do that, you can attach your ready-made rig in the same way via a loop on the end of the rig and a loop tied in your reel line.

These are about the size that would suit the Dane or a similar small river

This would also give you some back-up rigs in case you get tangles etc.

mikench

Reaction score
I can do loop to loop on a main line and a hook length but how do you do the same with a float and shot attached or am i being dense?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I have these Mike:
stick_floats.jpg

Most of which there are two of so unless we go decorating the trees with them we should be OK - assuming they're suitable.

mikench

Reaction score
I think the penny has dropped and I have a few like that so we'll give it a go. I can now tie a large loop on the mainline which I think thenpasses throughout the smaller loop on the float. I hope so .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think the penny has dropped and I have a few like that so we'll give it a go. I can now tie a large loop on the mainline which I think thenpasses throughout the smaller loop on the float. I hope so .

That's it...exactly the same as putting a hooklink on l2l. Call me a fusspot but I never do this...I dont like any kind of join above the hooklink. Its just another knot(s) that might fail. Straight through to the hl every time for me.

steve2

Reaction score
Call me out of touch with modern methods but.
My way of fishing a stick or any float is to me quiet simple. Put the float on the line add enough weight the cock it and cast out. I never have been one for fancy rigs.
Does anyone really know how his or her fancy rigs look or act in the water? I have seen some lovely diagrams but they don’t mirror true life.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I plan to spend a few hours trotting for roach in the next few days and will be using a heavier float than the last time.

My favoured swim is under a tree and even with an11ft Matchpro I’m unable to bring the rod to a vertical position, it was quite windy and I was having all sorts of grief just attempting to swing in the rig, must have looked a right numpty trying to snatch at a line flying in the wind.

Hopefully the extra weight will make the difference.

trotter2

Reaction score
Mike. For 95% of my river fishing I use a stick float, because that is what I like to do. There have been numerous threads on this subject and the only real conclusion was that everyone has their own take on it. This is mine. I work on a rule of thumb, one No 4 shot per foot of water, in a medium paced current. So for a 4 foot swim, a shot load of 4 to 5 No 4s would be a good starting point. Using PJ's shotting chart, that would be around a one gram float. That said I would actually use only No 6 and No 8 shot on the line. I prefer to have several shot on the line to allow for permutation. If you shot up with a a couple of heavy bulk shot and a couple of droppers, that is a simple rig which will easily work, but gives you very little option to do anything else. A float set up with say, 6 No 6 and 4 No 8 will give you a variety of possibilities. That's just my opinion. I work on the premise that to begin with most fish will be in the bottom third of the depth. When using a 6 No 4, 4 No 8 float I would put a No 8 dropper shot 8 inch from the hook, with another 6 inch above that, and 6 inch above that I would start a bulk shot with 1 No 8 (This No 8 gives you the option to move it down and have 3 droppers x 4 inch apart, rather than 2 droppers x 6 inch apart, if needs be) the remaining 6 No 6s I string shot, half a inch apart from the third No 8 shot. This is a personal preference, you can bulk them together if you wish. Finally, the last No 8 shot goes tight under the float stem, as a depth marker. Over riding all this is the need to put your float where the fish are, as S-Kippy says, don't fish too light. I attach my floats to the line with 3 rubbers, which allows me to quickly change the float. If I needed to cast further out, on a steady flow, I would change to a heavier float, leave the down the line shots as they are and add the extra lead needed to cock the float, directly under it (with the No 8 depth marker). Hope you can make sense of this. Pete.

I can't really add much to what has been said already , the above is good solid advice take it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My eyes were opened to the advantage of a bit of extra weight years ago on the Kennet. There was a bit of pace on and I just couldn't keep my float on line. The bloke above me was using a big chubber with about 2-3 swan down and he was running it round the far bank as sweet as you like...float never moved off line when he mended even at distance. I was getting the odd fish but he was catching steadily...he had some lovely roach topped by a 2lb + fish.

I never got caught out like that again. Trouble was I grew up on small, gentle paced rivers and flowing canals where a "heavy" float was a 6 x no 4 stick. No good on deeper rivers with a bit of flow.

I miss the Kennet terribly but its a shadow of its then self, full of signals and back then you could safely leave your car and it would still be there ( untouched) when you returned. Not any more.