Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  59
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Shotting for a stick float

I plan to go on the river, a shallow one about 2' to 4' and have some 4,5and 6g stick floats. What would be the likely amount of shot needed for these either bulked up or in a string ?

I am hopeless with shot sticking to preloaded floats for most of my fishing. I have other river floats but these are marked and may be more suitable in the circumstances I find myself in.

Default Re: Shotting for a stick float

Do you have a water butt in your garden Mike? I use mine to get the shotting required on my stick floats just right.
    Last edited by s63; 11-09-2019 at 13:06.

Blog Entries

Rough guide as shot does vary between manufacturers

4g will need either 2 x no4's or one BB

5g takes 2 x no4's plus 2 x no 10's

6g takes 2 no 1's

This table might help: Shot conversion chart — Angling Times

It is best to try and change as and when necessary , , , , , Remember that you can chop and change using equivalents as well . . . . .
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 11-09-2019 at 12:02.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Dont use too light a float either..use the one with the heaviest shot loading.appropriate to the depth and strength of current. A bit more weight gives you better control and a bit more stability.

Split shot

8g
    6 x AAA
    2SSG
    3.2g
    4 x AAA
    LG
    3g
    LSG
    2g
    SSG
    1.6g
    2 x AA
    AAA
    0.8g
    2 x BB
    AB
    0.6g
    2 x No1
    BB
    0.4g
    2 x No4
    No1
    0.3g
    3 x No6
    No3
    0.25g
    2 x No6
    No4
    0.2g
    3 x No9
    No5
    0.15g
    2 x No8
    No6
    0.1g
    2 x No10
    No8
    0.06g
    2 x No11
    No9
    0.05g
    No10
    0.04g
    2 x No12
    No11
    0.03g
    3 x No13
    No12
    0.02g
    2 x No13
    No13
    0.01g

Blog Entries

S63s suggestion is a good one .
    Many floats have suggested shotting marked on them but are often way off the mark.

For the size of float/depth Mike think 1 x no 4 for each foot of depth - unless the flow is very strong then up size to compensate.............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Are you sure these are 'stick' floats, Mike? 4 grams is 10 BB which is way outside normal stick float size. A light stick would take 3 no. 4, a medium one 5 no. 4 and a heavy one 7 no. 4. Do you have a picture?

Mike. For 95% of my river fishing I use a stick float, because that is what I like to do. There have been numerous threads on this subject and the only real conclusion was that everyone has their own take on it. This is mine. I work on a rule of thumb, one No 4 shot per foot of water, in a medium paced current. So for a 4 foot swim, a shot load of 4 to 5 No 4s would be a good starting point. Using PJ's shotting chart, that would be around a one gram float. That said I would actually use only No 6 and No 8 shot on the line. I prefer to have several shot on the line to allow for permutation. If you shot up with a a couple of heavy bulk shot and a couple of droppers, that is a simple rig which will easily work, but gives you very little option to do anything else. A float set up with say, 6 No 6 and 4 No 8 will give you a variety of possibilities. That's just my opinion. I work on the premise that to begin with most fish will be in the bottom third of the depth. When using a 6 No 4, 4 No 8 float I would put a No 8 dropper shot 8 inch from the hook, with another 6 inch above that, and 6 inch above that I would start a bulk shot with 1 No 8 (This No 8 gives you the option to move it down and have 3 droppers x 4 inch apart, rather than 2 droppers x 6 inch apart, if needs be) the remaining 6 No 6s I string shot, half a inch apart from the third No 8 shot. This is a personal preference, you can bulk them together if you wish. Finally, the last No 8 shot goes tight under the float stem, as a depth marker. Over riding all this is the need to put your float where the fish are, as S-Kippy says, don't fish too light. I attach my floats to the line with 3 rubbers, which allows me to quickly change the float. If I needed to cast further out, on a steady flow, I would change to a heavier float, leave the down the line shots as they are and add the extra lead needed to cock the float, directly under it (with the No 8 depth marker). Hope you can make sense of this. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 11-09-2019 at 17:42.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Do you have a water butt in your garden Mike? I use mine to get the shotting required on my stick floats just right.
    I don't John but I do have a very deep bucket from beer brewing days. I will use that. Thanks to all contributors.

The floats are Woodys with a wire stem and have the figures 4,5 and 6 g on the side. I have a couple of similar Maher floats which say bolo on them. I'll post a pic.

Attachment 7528Attachment 7528
    Last edited by mikench; 11-09-2019 at 14:08.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast