River Thames Windsor, Staines etc

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Going to Heathrow later in the week. Was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a place to float fish for a few hours for a mixed bag?

Ive looked online and Staines and Runnymeade seem like they might be a good stretch. I enjoy fishing light for silverfish.

Any ideas?

Cheers

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you're not familiar with Staines town centre you will find parking a nightmare... Access to the river is also limited.
I'd recommend you go to the Pleasure ground at Runnymede. Parking is £6 per day ( cheaper for a couple of hours) and the fishing is free. TW20 0AE
From the car park down to the bend in the river its 10 to 12ft deep so long rods needed, or fish slider?
Beyond the bend opposite the houses it's much shallower close in and may suit a light set up better.
Great roach and dace fishing with maggot or caster, some big perch too.
Windsor is much the same as Staines re parking.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Weybridge is also worth a go. Free parking in the car park opposite Shepperton wier and pay and display at Walton bridge. Loads of silvers but not very much flow when I last went past last week.

Jelster

Reaction score
Not sure how it's fishing now I've moved away, but you have free fishing & free parking on the Colne at Little Britain, just outside of Uxbridge.

Quite shallow 2-4ft max, Dace, Chub, Roach, Perch and the odd Barbel.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hampton Court is another, Cigarette Island is popular but as far as I know its free fishing either side of the bridge on both banks except for some areas around the lock and weir. I believe you can hire a punt there as well. I don't know what the parkings like though however, the train station is very close by. Barbel and Carp are present there but there must be silver fishing as well. Been meaning to fish it myself for sometime so not first hand knowledge, just what I picked up after making enquiries.
I walk the Weybridge and Walton stretch a few times a year on family visits, quite a lot of EE's fish there now, at least when I have been there, mainly lure fishing for pike and perch, can be quite busy from what I have seen the few times I have been there. Given a choice I would opt for Hampton Court, looks a bit more interesting, fancied some fishing by the lock area where you can fish, I thought some nice roach might be in it.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not sure how it's fishing now I've moved away, but you have free fishing & free parking on the Colne at Little Britain, just outside of Uxbridge.

Quite shallow 2-4ft max, Dace, Chub, Roach, Perch and the odd Barbel.

I wouldn't bother. I walked it last week and it was desperately low,gin clear,weedy and silty. Didn't see a single fish.

theartist

Reaction score
Wow Walton used to be free by the bridge, the old bridge has been painted by both Turner and Canalletto, which always impresses the lady folk when you randomly throw that in whilst running a float through

There's free parking at Staines by B&Q and Old Windsor behind Harvester, at least there used to be

peterjg

Reaction score
Sutherland Grange back water is good and free. Park in the service road opposite, walk across the green and you will find the backwater. South side opposite Boveney.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Thanks ever so much for all of the replies. Unfortunately I did not heed any of the advice given as the M25 was gridlocked all morning so I decided to fish the Medway at Tonbridge. Good mixed bag at the Sportsground stretch, some nice Roach in the mix.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have fished that stretch before and not caught much so well done. It has been a good month for roach on reading the HDYGO thread. September is often a good roach month.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Wow Walton used to be free by the bridge, the old bridge has been painted by both Turner and Canalletto, which always impresses the lady folk when you randomly throw that in whilst running a float through

There's free parking at Staines by B&Q and Old Windsor behind Harvester, at least there used to be

Sorry - it is still free - the P&D for the Cowey Sale car park didn't get approved - it was a while back and I haven't parked there for ages - assumed it had been OKed.