Weighing in my landing net?

Gaston664

Reaction score
Hi all,

I only started fishing about 6 months ago and I've been going at least once a week since then and I'm loving it.

I've never weighed any of the fish I've caught. I've just kind of not really considered the weight, I've just enjoyed the process of catching.

I'd like to get myself some scales and start weighing.

My question is, would it be bad practice to use the net and just hook my scales onto the frame of the landing net?

I just thought rather than taking the fish out of the net, on the mat, into a sling etc etc, it would just be quicker for me to use the landing net, therefore reducing stress on the fish?

I like to be as quick and careful as possible and want the experience to be as streamlined for my catches as possible.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you are going to do that a quick release coupling between net and handle is good or a strong plastic carrier bag is good depending on the size and species you are targeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich66

Reaction score
That’s the way I do it. I suppose if I thought I had a record I’d be more careful.
Just remember to take the weight of the landing net off afterwards

mikench

Reaction score
I do the same and use either Korum or Prologic quick change adaptors. I know the weight of my landing net which i always, in my head, round up to the nearest quarter pound to allow for water. After all I rarely come close to any record fish and when I get a potential pb I take more care and err on the conservative side. A few roach and crucians have possibly been a bit heavier than I have claimed but I'm not bothered . I have a weigh sling but never used it. I haven't used a plastic bag but have one available for a small fish.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perfect way to do it. The cheap digital travel scales for a few quid are compact, cheap and surprisingly accurate.

bracket

Reaction score
I weigh fish in the landing net. It is easy and not too distressing. As Ray says a quick release coupling makes things quick and easy. It is a good idea, before going fishing, to wet the disconnected landing net, hang it on your scales, then adjust the scales to zero. By doing that when weighing your catch you will be reading its actual weight. Pete

Gaston664

Reaction score
I do the same and use either Korum or Prologic quick change adaptors. I know the weight of my landing net which i always, in my head, round up to the nearest quarter pound to allow for water. After all I rarely come close to any record fish and when I get a potential pb I take more care and err on the conservative side. A few roach and crucians have possibly been a bit heavier than I have claimed but I'm not bothered . I have a weigh sling but never used it. I haven't used a plastic bag but have one available for a small fish.
I've just looked at the quick release adaptors and these look great.

On Amazon they have good reviews but 2 people said they snapped when they got double figure carp.

Would the prologic one be better?
796325d64cc2f6066dd171c235b6ed7c.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
The Korum adaptor has been modified over the years and is now smaller. The original did fail on me when I landed a 25lb common. It simply split and the net fell off. Korum replaced it and advised that it isn't made to take the strain of a large fish( levers and fulcrums) and in such cases the net should be lifted up by holding it at the end of the handle holding the net as it connects. I now adopt this method and haven't had a problem but no fish has come close to that weight.

I prefer the Prologic type as it's looks neater and they come in 3 sizes all of which I have. The smallest is great because it fits a telescopic landing net handle without having to be taken off when the two parts are fitted into each other. The larger sizes I use for buzz bars and bank sticks into which I fit rod rests and buzzers. I haven't actually put them to the test on a landing net. The smallest is great with a shallow Greys landing net for roach, Rudd, crucians, skimmers and F1's. I always have two nets and handles set up for different species and find this works. The Korum type are used on longer and heavier handles.

For larger species like Pike Carp and Barbel( I don't catch many) I haveca trio of large folding spoon nets which I attach directly to the pole. I just think they must be stronger that way and if you need to say rest a Barbel in the current it must be safer.

If you think about it a heavy fish in a large wet net being lifted out of the water just by the pole must put a significant and intolerable strain on the adaptor which they are neither designed nor capable of coping with. I would say any fish above 8 or 9lb should be handled as I have described. Gordon(Wetthrough) may have experience of the Prologic type with large fish.

Last edited:

Gaston664

Reaction score
The Korum adaptor has been modified over the years and is now smaller. The original did fail on me when I landed a 25lb common. It simply split and the net fell off. Korum replaced it and advised that it isn't made to take the strain of a large fish( levers and fulcrums) and in such cases the net should be lifted up by holding it at the end of the handle holding the net as it connects. I now adopt this method and haven't had a problem but no fish has come close to that weight.

I prefer the Prologic type as it's looks neater and they come in 3 sizes all of which I have. The smallest is great because it fits a telescopic landing net handle without having to be taken off when the two parts are fitted into each other. The larger sizes I use for buzz bars and bank sticks into which I fit rod rests and buzzers. I haven't actually put them to the test on a landing net. The smallest is great with a shallow Greys landing net for roach, Rudd, crucians, skimmers and F1's. I always have two nets and handles set up for different species and find this works. The Korum type are used on longer and heavier handles.

For larger species like Carp and Barbel( I don't catch many) I have a couple of large folding spoon nets which I attach directly to the pole. I just think they must be stronger that way and if you need to rest a Barbel in the current it must be safer.
Thanks for your thoughts on those.

Maybe the Korum will be a good bet then, I know I haven't been weighing but I can safely say I've not had anything anywhere near 25lb!

Ill ensure I lift using the method you described.

I can always get the pro logic ones in different sizes later if I want to give those a go!

Gaston664

Reaction score
Sadly not! I think ~13lb was the biggest on the small Prologic adapter. I think the handle would break before the adapter.
I've just ordered a Korum one! Should I have gone for a prologic?

theartist

Reaction score
In the net is the best and safest way to weigh fish that aren't huge or tiny

I always weigh the net after releasing the fish too - The weight is often slightly out depending on how wet the net is. It does vary.

i.e. One that's been soaked deep in water waiting for a fish will weigh more than a quickly dipped net. Often in fast water the net doesn't get fully submerged. I had a 1lb 15oz roach bare testament to this in the summer. My net nearly always goes 14oz wet but on this occasion was almost a pound. The fish would have been 2lb 1oz had I gone down the pre weighed net route

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've just ordered a Korum one! Should I have gone for a prologic?

Plenty of people use the Korum ones without any problems. So long as you don't expect the adapter to take the full weight of a big fish horizontally. It would be expecting a lot of the handle anyway. Always get hold of the yoke before you lift big fish out of the water. Landing nets themselves are likely to bend/break if you try to lift a big fish out horizontally.

Reaction score
Roach tend to be weighed in a strong plastic shopping bag,everything else is usually weighed in a sling,unless I forget it for some reason,I prefer a sling as fish sit quieter in one...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I use the plastic bags from the local TS. Everyone I get goes in my bag and at the end of the day I fill it with all my rubbish and stick it in the bin. Perfect for the smaller species and they dont get stinky like weigh slings.

Of course if its carp then I have to use a weigh sling. I haven't weighed anything in my landing net for years. I've tried these quick change gizmos but I just dont trust them...certainly not on a landing net.

steve2

Reaction score
I have used the prologic ones in all sizes for years and they have never failed. I weigh any fish that need weighing in the landing net.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I find the carrier bag removes less slime than a proper weigh sling. Plus you don’t have to wash it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk