Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What can I do about an assortment of old unmarked line?

I don’t trust the so called recyclers, I put all my waste line in a metal bucket and burn into one solid mass. At least that way if it ends up exposed on a tip it won’t tangle bird life.

Can't you test it using a spring balance, Tie one end to something solid and one end to the spring balance and pull it until it breaks keeping an eye on at what point it breaks. This will give you a fairly good idea of breakage strength. Or bin it but if its good, might be worth keeping some of it.
    There are special fishing line disposal schemes now, some tackle shops belong to them.
    fishing line disposal units - Google Search
    Last edited by markg; 29-09-2019 at 05:57.

Blog Entries

Mark g, I was going to suggest the same thing with the weigh scales . So long as the line hasn't been left in daylight it should be fine.
    If it breaks below what it's to be used for it's always good as backing line before it's eventual disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Mark g, I was going to suggest the same thing with the weigh scales . So long as the line hasn't been left in daylight it should be fine.
    If it breaks below what it's to be used for it's always good as backing line before it's eventual disposal.
    I don't know much about that flight but would the line underneath the top few wounds still be good where the daylight can't get to?

Blog Entries

According to this http://www.autexrj.com/cms/zalaczone_pliki/2-06-4.pdf it takes a very long time in full daylight for nylon fibres to deteriorate significantly. In the short to medium term they would seem to get stronger.

Theoretical scenario: Angler pays lots of good money for rods, reels, seats, boxes, tackle, licences, memberships, permits and umpteen accessories, etc then decides it’s a good idea to use some old line that’s of indeterminate age, condition and breaking strain?

Anyone see a basic flaw in the logic?

Blog Entries

Line is not all that expensive (in the overall scheme of things) but it is really important to have line that you trust as it is the only thing connecting you to the fish . . . .

Personally, I'd take it to the local tip for recyling and just put new line on my reels as I'd hate to have a breakage and then leave a tethered fish or have a bird caught in the lost line . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Theoretical scenario: Angler pays lots of good money for rods, reels, seats, boxes, tackle, licences, memberships, permits and umpteen accessories, etc then decides it’s a good idea to use some old line that’s of indeterminate age, condition and breaking strain?

Anyone see a basic flaw in the logic?
    As I said, I'm fairly new at this.

Most of my kit is hand me down stuff and I am in the process of buying new and adequate kit, but I can't do that all at once.

I have and will start buying an assortment of new line however and will use old line as either backing or sending it to be recycled.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Line is not all that expensive (in the overall scheme of things) but it is really important to have line that you trust as it is the only thing connecting you to the fish . . . .

Personally, I'd take it to the local tip for recyling and just put new line on my reels as I'd hate to have a breakage and then leave a tethered fish or have a bird caught in the lost line . . . . .
    Do you have a facility at your local tip for recycling monofilament line Peter?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Do you have a facility at your local tip for recycling monofilament line Peter?
    When I asked at my local tip they said that fishing line is recycled separately . . . . I didn't check any further to be honest.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast