What can I do about an assortment of old unmarked line?

Gaston664

Reaction score
I have various spools of line that are just unmarked.

It seems in good nick but I have no idea what weight the line is.

It would be great if I could mark it all so its easy for me to grab a spool depending on the situation etc.

Probably a dumb question but I'm fairly new at this and just basically been using the and set up over and over, I'd like to start using more awareness when it comes to specific tools for specific jobs or conditions,so it seems a shame for this line to just not get used because I don't know way breaking strain it is.

Do I just have to kinda guess?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
If it were me I would certainly throw the lot in the bin. Hooks and line are the most important bits of tackle we use.

Gaston664

Reaction score
If it were me I would certainly throw the lot in the bin. Hooks and line are the most important bits of tackle we use.
I was considering that to be honest!

It will be nice to recycle the lot and get fresh line for sure.

Easier that way too.

rich66

Reaction score
Personally I’d strip it all off and send it for recycling. Put new lines on the spools you want at the b.s you want.
You could use the old stuff as backing line on those spools so you don’t have to buy so much new.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can afford to I’d say bin the lot and start again. You can get a rough idea of breaking strains from the diameter, more accurately if you have a micrometer. You say you think the line “is in good Nick”, do you know for sure and how old the line is?

Plenty of good budget bulk spools of line on the market, just be sure to label them so you know what you have. I use a label printer to do mine.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have my line strengths marked either by using a sticky label on the inside of my spools, or by using some tippex and putting a blob for each pound bs. also on the inside of my spools.

On my Drennan reels they include push in buttons with different poundage marked on them which push into the outsides of the spools.

Keith

John Keane

Reaction score
Chuck the lot! It may look good but if it’s been exposed to light for a long time it may snap like cotton.

Daft to try to make economies on line or hooks (IMO)

Gaston664

Reaction score
Chuck the lot! It may look good but if it’s been exposed to light for a long time it may snap like cotton.

Daft to try to make economies on line or hooks (IMO)
Thanks. Definitely going to chuck the lot and buy myself some new line.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t trust the so called recyclers, I put all my waste line in a metal bucket and burn into one solid mass. At least that way if it ends up exposed on a tip it won’t tangle bird life.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Can't you test it using a spring balance, Tie one end to something solid and one end to the spring balance and pull it until it breaks keeping an eye on at what point it breaks. This will give you a fairly good idea of breakage strength. Or bin it but if its good, might be worth keeping some of it.
There are special fishing line disposal schemes now, some tackle shops belong to them.
fishing line disposal units - Google Search

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark g, I was going to suggest the same thing with the weigh scales . So long as the line hasn't been left in daylight it should be fine.
If it breaks below what it's to be used for it's always good as backing line before it's eventual disposal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark g, I was going to suggest the same thing with the weigh scales . So long as the line hasn't been left in daylight it should be fine.
If it breaks below what it's to be used for it's always good as backing line before it's eventual disposal.
I don't know much about that flight but would the line underneath the top few wounds still be good where the daylight can't get to?

John Keane

Reaction score
Theoretical scenario: Angler pays lots of good money for rods, reels, seats, boxes, tackle, licences, memberships, permits and umpteen accessories, etc then decides it’s a good idea to use some old line that’s of indeterminate age, condition and breaking strain?

Anyone see a basic flaw in the logic?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Line is not all that expensive (in the overall scheme of things) but it is really important to have line that you trust as it is the only thing connecting you to the fish . . . .

Personally, I'd take it to the local tip for recyling and just put new line on my reels as I'd hate to have a breakage and then leave a tethered fish or have a bird caught in the lost line . . . . .

Gaston664

Reaction score
Theoretical scenario: Angler pays lots of good money for rods, reels, seats, boxes, tackle, licences, memberships, permits and umpteen accessories, etc then decides it’s a good idea to use some old line that’s of indeterminate age, condition and breaking strain?

Anyone see a basic flaw in the logic?
As I said, I'm fairly new at this.

Most of my kit is hand me down stuff and I am in the process of buying new and adequate kit, but I can't do that all at once.

I have and will start buying an assortment of new line however and will use old line as either backing or sending it to be recycled.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Line is not all that expensive (in the overall scheme of things) but it is really important to have line that you trust as it is the only thing connecting you to the fish . . . .

Personally, I'd take it to the local tip for recyling and just put new line on my reels as I'd hate to have a breakage and then leave a tethered fish or have a bird caught in the lost line . . . . .

Do you have a facility at your local tip for recycling monofilament line Peter?