North Sea Cod back on the danger list.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Reading a little report in the I Paper yesterday The Marine Conservation Society (MSC), North Sea Cod are back on the "fish to avoid" list after being taken off 5 years ago because over fishing has left stocks at critical levels again. They have been given a red rating and we are being urged to buy cod sourced from elsewhere. I remember the North Sea cod bonanza reported 5 years ago and immediately the EU upped the quotas and I said it was too soon, too much back then.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This is disappointing news but prompts many questions about current practices, and the levels of control (or lack of them) on fishing boats.

It is concerning that less than 1% of uk boats have any onboard monitoring and that quotas (Total allowable catches TAC's) are set only every two years.

On the positive side once TAC's exceed the set limits then the EU have the ability to close a fishing ground on their own volition if within the EU28's boundaries or in association with a third party country in other cases.

Regarding quotas in general I would like to see the Commission ban the sale of quotas between countries in an effort to maintain stocks on a national basis.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Has the Dutch (under a Lithuanian flag) trawler fishing in the English Channel got anything to do with it?

Is the Baltic devoid of fish? Can't help but think, Baltic Sea - North Sea - English Channel?

The report states that most of the fish caught, go to Africa - it doesn't say which parts - so why not fish the African coast?

rich66

Reaction score
Has the Dutch (under a Lithuanian flag) trawler fishing in the English Channel got anything to do with it?

Is the Baltic devoid of fish? Can't help but think, Baltic Sea - North Sea - English Channel?

The report states that most of the fish caught, go to Africa - it doesn't say which parts - so why not fish the African coast?

It’s I believe the same ship the Australians wouldn’t let in their waters and who’d blame them!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I looked this ship up and it's listed as both a trawler and a factory ship, if it’s a trawler how can they claim to only catch mid water fish, trawling is a bottom method mainly and if it's also used as a factory ship, it takes anything off smaller boats plying their trade in the sea around it; it's a bit confusing. At the end of the day it’s the we do no wrong, its everyone else syndrome. The question is as always how do we monitor it all in a fair and sustainable way that works for us and the fish.

I dont disagree with anything you said Peter, but it doesn't change the fact, they have to get the quota's right in the first place. Regardles of who, how often, where and the laws etc, if they are not set right they do not work and in the case of the North Sea Cod I think it was 15% or 18% they upped them 5 years ago, far too much and far too soon, I thought so at the time and not with pleasure it looks like I was right.
A one year or even less should improve them but I don't have a lot faith in the people who set them. I think its too difficult a thing to get right anyway, two yearly or yearly for so many areas and so many species although it's better than none at all.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Any attempt at forecasting fishery stocks is at best a SWAG, being a Scientific Wild Arsed Guess ;) . . . . and rapid climate changes are equally as important as much as over fishing, and we are seeing many new species of fish turning up in the North Sea in the last few years . . . and the boats that catch them are selling then in Europe.

As for Inspection, that is as difficult as is the protection of uk's fishing vessels.

The uk have just 4 river class fishery protection vessels, and one of those is on permanent station in the Falklands . . . . even if and when supported by Nimrod aircraft there are simply not enough to cover the thousands of square miles of uk waters.

Politicians of all colours can only make consolatory noises but in practice nothing practical is really possible with such a paucity of floating resources.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I thought the Fat Fraud ( or one of his toady mates) had promised to look after the UK Fishing fleet post Brexit ? Not if it costs money and the votes have been counted methinks.

His once best mate, yep the the toady one, was down here promising all sorts of gold pieces to our local fishing fleet pre the referendum, he's shut up now! generally they tell any audience whatever they want to hear, get the votes and then ****** off.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
His once best mate, yep the the toady one, was down here promising all sorts of gold pieces to our local fishing fleet pre the referendum, he's shut up now! generally they tell any audience whatever they want to hear, get the votes and then ****** off.

Who'd have thought, eh ? Not an eggcupful of integrity among the lot of them. I wouldn't have the bare faced cheek to dish up some of the colossal whoppers that are getting churned out.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Who'd have thought, eh ? Not an eggcupful of integrity among the lot of them. I wouldn't have the bare faced cheek to dish up some of the colossal whoppers that are getting churned out.

It would help if they got fined for every false claim or a month in the tower dungeon on the wrack:)
It will be a long time before the fishing is sorting out, delayed to 2021 I believe and it will get delayed further and then I suspect it will be traded off anyway, at least in part. So, all those promises will be null and void if I am right and giant Lithuanian Trawlers will be here for a long time yet.
I am not a jingoist or anti-EU believe it or not but it was a lot easier to manage when we had ownership of our waters, our own fishing fleet to cope with,a better understanding of the species around our coast and whats needed to protect it all.
Has anyone got a proper take of it all anymore, when a giant Lithuanian trawler can come into close to our shores and it would appear to catch what they want, thats just not any kind of management or species control in my opinion.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
We are a stupid nation in that we are seafarers, an island nation and have cold seas. However the seas are warming and the cod and haddock we seemingly are only capable of eating are moving further and further north beyond Shetland. We have elected to leave Europe to get control of our waters. One would imagine that would mean we can be self sufficient in fish stocks and set high standards of fish conservancy. Unfortunately it doesn't as already we import all the fish we like( cod, haddock and other bland white fish) and export all the fish we dont( shell fish, ling, pollack, sea bream and all other tasty fish) to Europe or we did before B. To make matters worse we allow bottom trawling not only in the open seas but in designated conservation areas. Trawlerman go fishing indiscriminately and whinge when there are no fish to be caught or when they cannot sell them.

We should eat more shellfish, hake, mullet, flatfish and John Dory to name but a few. I know many of us do but the majority will only eat cod in batter. We should catch for home consumption. I cannot bear to mention the lies we were told and continue to be about being independent. Come the revolution heads will roll.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Actually Mike, I seem to have replicated this thread in two places through more than likely old age so I am deleting my comments in this one.
If Peter can delete this thread it might be best,

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Its difficult to delete a thread where others have contributed.

I can look at how to meld the two threads. we used to be able to do that with the older software.

mikench

Reaction score
Dont worry Mark its a worthy topic of discussion but i shall continue to opine in the other thread.