Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The red stuff.

Blog Entries

Default The red stuff.

OK for ever since I've fished commercials I've noticed additives on tackle shop shelves.
    I'm not saying they weren't there when I fished natural venues, mostly rivers or canals. It's more like I rarely noticed them. Apart from Archie Bradocks flavours that came in little green bottles.
    I reckoned I was sort of immune to the blurb and just ignored the shelf that was rammed with flavours.
    One thing that's for some reason intrigued me over the last few months is Robin Red. I know it's not new, I've read it's spicy and that's about all I know. Do you use Robin Red, is it the colour or the flavour that makes it popular.

Default Re: The red stuff.

I use Robin Red 8mm pellets, they seem to work very well. Carp,Tench, Bream I’ve caught on them. Some days they’ve saved me from a blank. I like to put their micro pellets in my groundbait too.
    Never tried the liquid stuff.

I think it’s the flavour rather than colour.

I've not used the liquid but have had success( modest of course) with the 6, 8 and 12 m pellets. Anecdotally there are a few waters where they are very popular with all species. A few months ago I went to a fishery with carp in mind. Prawns, meat and bread produced nothing. I switched to 12 mm robins red and had 12 over the rest of the day. Out of interest I tried other baits in between and nothing.

Mind you I went back a few days later sat in the same peg, using just Robin red and caught zilch- go figure. That was the last time I went without the full cornucopia of baits. Are you reading this Mark!

My club has banned them on certain waters as they have with boilies too, something to do with the high oil content maybe?

Robin Red:
    Analytical constituents:

Oil A: 13.03%
    Crude Protein: 11.1%
    Crude Fibre: 13.1%
    Dry Matter: 93.8%
    Moisture: 6.2%
    Ash: 5.5%
    Total Oil: 13.56%
    Starch: 3.2%

Composition: Capsicum, Red Beet Extract, Sucrose, Vegetable oil, Maltodextrin
    Opinions are divided, and the stuff can stir some emotive debates.

Personally, I think most flavours and additives are for the angler and may serve a better function as a libation; but I can't stop dabbling myself My personal experience of RR is that it won't harm a bait, but there are several things in my cupboard which are cheaper which I have more confidence in: marmite, sriracha, tomato sauce, brown sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and juice from a tin of un-salted sweetcorn.

If you can stand it, crushed garlic cloves are good to soak your hook baits in, keeps visitors (except dogs) away from your peg.
    Last edited by iannate; 07-10-2019 at 17:02. Reason: I have more, not as much confidence :o

8 mm robin red pellets have been good for me this year, had quite a few carp on them.

Best bait by far this year, has been the chocolate orange wafters I’ve been using, had over a hundred carp on them this year, both have been fished on a method feeder, using dampened two mm pellets, if you use the screttings pellets I’ve found a one minute and fifteen seconds soak in water, is about right, for use on a method feeder.

I have great faith in Robin Red pellets for above average size roach, they work in lakes, rivers and canals. Best used though where the fish are a bit used to pellets.
    I also sometimes use RR flavour in groundbait and bread flake hook baits for roach.

There does seem to be some relation to red and fish, maybe they see it better or it excites them in some way, maybe both but would they be as effective if they were robin greens?! There’s an experiment, dye some in different colours and see if they compare.
    I read an article a few years ago where dying bread red was knocking them dead but, it seems to have not caught on.
    I did a bit of experimenting with soft pellets but they struggled really on the wild waters I fish, a bit hit and miss, definately no better then sweetcorn and bread I would say.
    Last edited by markg; 08-10-2019 at 04:22.

Markg, re your comments. The nearest things to 'universal bait' which more or less work everywhere are either bread or maggots. RR pellets work very well on some waters and are rubbish on others, I do think that they are the best pellets - but match the bait to the venue to the time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Markg, re your comments. The nearest things to 'universal bait' which more or less work everywhere are either bread or maggots. RR pellets work very well on some waters and are rubbish on others, I do think that they are the best pellets - but match the bait to the venue to the time of year.
    Thanks Peter, I was after a soft pellet in my little experiment which I could't get in RR but I will try the RR's sometime. They may just work better where I fish, they seem highly regarded..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast