Chub and the future

Reaction score
I can remember watching a mate fishing a peg just below Radwell bridge,he had caught several chub on the waggle running past a small willow on the far bank,anyway towards the end of the session he lost his float in the branches,now this willow was six feet round,I waded across the shallows upstream and went down the car bank to recover his float,as I stood in the margin I could see odd chub flitting about,I reached out and pulled the branches to get the float and was shocked to see forty or fifty good fish shoot out,on the Ivel years ago you would rarely see a chub,yet there were masses of them,they would hide under overhanging nettles,reeds,or water cress,catches were at times incredible from such a small river,there are still numbers of chub there,but very few in comparison,the Thames around Oxford was solid with them too and they are still there,from small to big,just not in the large numbers they were,what is odd is bream 'seem' to be thriving in some rivers where chub are not,as Neil says the chub around a pound to two are abundant on the D.Stour around Christchurch this year,or so it seems. Alex is fishing match style on the Ouse I would imagine,maggot and caster on the float and for some reason the Ouse fish don't seem to turn on to it like they used to,strangely...

silvers

Reaction score
Noticeboard Alan? Paul C perchance?

And yes, always particles on the float for me. I can count my successful catches of multiple chub an the feeder on one hand.

I agree with the last two posts ... but would add that even in the golden days on the Ouse, there were very few pups caught in the matches ... it mostly seemed to be a year class that just grew old together! I remember one match that I won on “lichelli’s” with 17 pounds odd in the late 80s as a standout because every fish I caught was a swinger. That was really unusual in those days.

We certainly caught a lot more in the 4-8 oz class from the Trent. I also appreciate how rare chub were 10 years before I was fishing the Ouse from the older anglers. But the Ouse from Harold to Bedford has seen the same story, not just Radwell.

One explanation could be that chub live a whole lot longer than the 22 years that Wikipedia states.

Phil Adams

Reaction score

And yes, always particles on the float for me. I can count my successful catches of multiple chub an the feeder on one hand.

I agree with the last two posts ... but would add that even in the golden days on the Ouse, there were very few pups caught in the matches ... it mostly seemed to be a year class that just grew old together! I remember one match that I won on “lichelli’s” with 17 pounds odd in the late 80s as a standout because every fish I caught was a swinger. That was really unusual in those days.

We certainly caught a lot more in the 4-8 oz class from the Trent. I also appreciate how rare chub were 10 years before I was fishing the Ouse from the older anglers. But the Ouse from Harold to Bedford has seen the same story, not just Radwell.

One explanation could be that chub live a whole lot longer than the 22 years that Wikipedia states.

Has anyone night fished for the Ouse chub? I wonder if they shy away during the day but venture out as the light fades.

xenon

Reaction score
this is old news (circa 15 years ago) but I used to fish a lot around Barford Bridge after dark for chub (near margin, quivertipped cheesepaste) a caught a lot of decent chub (4lb plus)

Reaction score

No mate,'Stump',aka Martin Mitchell.As an aside I saw Lino today,that makes twice in around 30 years,also saw Paul Reynolds,haven't seen him for a similar time.

Reaction score
Has anyone night fished for the Ouse chub? I wonder if they shy away during the day but venture out as the light fades.

That's how lots of the big chub are caught today,the problem is populations aren't what they were,fishing gets harder for all species when this occurs...

silvers

Reaction score
Cheers Alan,

I was next peg to Paul on the last match I fished (which prompted this thread). He has been back on matches for a few years now after taking a long time out of fishing. He won the hospital cup last year, and then Steve Drakulic won it this year ... can’t keep the old uns down:wh

Reaction score
That's cos there is only olduns fishing these days....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s why it’s called silvers fishing.:)