Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait Aprons

Default Bait Aprons

Other than a Shakespeare agility and a daiwa matchman has anybody got suggestions on a bait apron for river fishing. Ive got an agility at the moment but its due for renewal. There seems to be a lack of options at the moment but it could just be me looking in the wrong places.

Default Re: Bait Aprons

I prefer a smock rather than an apron - and a single pocket for the bait.
    I found a second hand shimano one on EBay after much waiting.

I would keep an eye in Ebay, you get some very good one-offs if you look often enough.

The best bait apron I've ever seen let alone owned came from Ebay and that too is a very well thought out, heavy duty pvc type with cotton backing which is especially useful on the inside of the bait pockets to stop maggots sweating and a very nice touch are curved bottomed, instead of rectangular, bait pockets so that there are no corners for things to crawl or fall into which makes them difficult to get out.

With all the right things in all the right places it's the best I've ever owned, it's just shame it's grey but I'm happy enough to overlook that little issue!

Sorry I can't be more specific but trust me they're out there of you check often enough and nab the new listings as they appear.

Blog Entries

I have a Shimano smock, two bait pockets , a large and a small above then at chest height a button flap pocket in two parts.
    I was fortunate to find it in a tackle shop that does a few odds and sods second hand stuff , at £4 it was a steal.
    TBH I don't think they are available these days but e bay could turn one up.
    Three years ago I saw a Daiwa smock in fishing republic that I bought as a spare , it's functional but compared to the shimmy it won't last half as long but at £7 it was ok.
    They are still made and easy to obtain .

I don't recall seeing bait aprons/smocks from any other main tackle manufacturers in recent years. Maggot bags/pouches are becoming similarly scarce. Both are simply a long way from being fashionable. A fair proportion of the anglers that might have used them have gone down the platform/box in the river route.

Without going bespoke, second hand, or small cottage industry seller, Halkon Hunt is probably the only other option I'm aware of. If I didn't have an old Shimano, I suspect I'd buy from HH. The quality of the modern Shakespeare and Daiwa isn't brilliant. I suppose much depends on the price you are willing to pay and how much you might use it.

This; ESP Bait Pouch - Stalker

I have a thin cloth sensas one and as I have an aversion to wading beyond a foot in depth they haven't had much use. The ESP one does work well.

I have always used a bait apron, but a good one now seems hard to find. So much so that I now make my own.
    Bait Aprons-dsc01321_1.jpg
    Quite easy to make, a metre of material is about a fiver then you need the straps and clip fitting which are cheap. Pete
    Casternets

I think Browning make or made one as did Senas and Rive...Try looking on some of the continental fishing sites, they may offer a bit more choice for aprons.

Blog Entries

I use a couple of Maggot bags, knocked up by Mrs. Four for less than a fiver.

Much prefer a maggot bag ,something you can take off a tie in a knot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast