Fishing method you are unlikely to pursue

mikench

Reaction score
I was watching a few videos the other night with an emphasis on feeder fishing generally and feeder rods in particular. My kids want to but me a rod for Crimbo so I have to decide on one that is suitable and which they can readily buy ; kids eh!!!

I digress. I watched a vid by a guy I'd never heard of fishing a large windswept reservoir in Yorkshire. It might have been called Emmerseat or similar. He was an ambassador for Cadence and was fishing with two feeders of differing strengths. He had set up a box with all the bits on and in at least a foot of water and had a box of cage feeders from 60 to 90g. He explained that to best the wind which was directly in his face and to get to the fish some 80m distant required a powerful rod and whilst both could manage it, the no3 strength was better. I was intrigued as to why someone would endure conditions which would keep me home and sit in coldwater for hours and which species would be worth such effort and sacrifice. I nearly choked when he said it was all in pursuit of skimmers and then produced one of about a pound.:confused:

Now many of you know a bream has saved me many a blank and I'm not averse to catching them if they are there but actively trying to catch them under such conditions will never happen. All that effort for a 1lb skimmer; the mind boggles.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fly fishing using a "sight bob" . . . . as I prefer to keep my float fishing to using a waggler or a stick float thank you very much.

I also try to avoid stripping lures for trout as well . . . . . and if that makes me a "traditionalist" or a daft old sod, then, so be it . . . . it is my fishing after all ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mike,
the water you saw was Semerwater, up in the wilds of Wensleydale.

I'm reluctant to say never, but it's highly unlikely that I'll ever give any form of predator fishing a go ever again. It's just not my bag.

I'm not much of one for legering in its various forms, but I do accept that once in a while it's just not possible to float fish. However, as I'm not a matchman, or forced to fish when conditions are against me, I generally avoid legering as much as possible.

mikench

Reaction score
That was it Chris; I couldn't remember. It looked a wild and windswept place even god forsaken on a bad day.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That was it Chris; I couldn't remember. It looked a wild and windswept place even god forsaken on a bad day.

It's a nightmare of a place. I've never fished it in pleasant conditions, even when it was glorious in the Vale of York when I set off. In a similar vein, I've never been to the closest town, Hawes, without it raining.

steve2

Reaction score
Thing I will never do again.
I will never again go sea fishing from a boat having sold all my boat fishing gear. Unlikely to go reservoir trout fishing or even trout fly fishing again there are none near to me at the price I want to pay.
Match fishing is another thing I can’t se me doing again. Joining a carp syndicate.
At the moment even a day out fishing seems to be something I might not do again.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Live baiting, can’t see the need. If it means not catching a fish then fine by me.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's a nightmare of a place. I've never fished it in pleasant conditions, even when it was glorious in the Vale of York when I set off. In a similar vein, I've never been to the closest town, Hawes, without it raining.

I'm no fan of endurance fishing, but I can say I have fished Semerwater on consecutive beautiful days, caught netfull's of bream - off what , if I remember was called Low Blean side, using this newfangled invention called braid ( it was in 1998) -ate great pub food and stayed overnight in luxury B&B. It was so good, I talked a mate into joining me for another trip, where we sat freezing in an icy blast. It was July.

nottskev

Reaction score
I was watching a few videos the other night with an emphasis on feeder fishing generally and feeder rods in particular. My kids want to but me a rod for Crimbo so I have to decide on one that is suitable and which they can readily buy ; kids eh!!!

I digress. I watched a vid by a guy I'd never heard of fishing a large windswept reservoir in Yorkshire. It might have been called Emmerseat or similar. He was an ambassador for Cadence and was fishing with two feeders of differing strengths. He had set up a box with all the bits on and in at least a foot of water and had a box of cage feeders from 60 to 90g. He explained that to best the wind which was directly in his face and to get to the fish some 80m distant required a powerful rod and whilst both could manage it, the no3 strength was better. I was intrigued as to why someone would endure conditions which would keep me home and sit in coldwater for hours and which species would be worth such effort and sacrifice. I nearly choked when he said it was all in pursuit of skimmers and then produced one of about a pound.:confused:

Now many of you know a bream has saved me many a blank and I'm not averse to catching them if they are there but actively trying to catch them under such conditions will never happen. All that effort for a 1lb skimmer; the mind boggles.

I wouldn't rush to do that, either, but is it so mind-boggling? I think a lot of fishing is validated not by the size of the capture or the species, but by the satisfaction of making a challenging method work or beating the conditions, or the opposition, and some blokes (not me!) make distance feeder fishing an art form these days.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment Kev but such lengths for skimmers isn’t worth the effort imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
I love night fishing but I will never fish for big carp (40+) again. I used to do around 60 nights each year during the period from 16 June to 5 November. In all over 1200 nights. Now enjoy trying to catch roach.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment Kev but such lengths for skimmers isn’t worth the effort imo.

Semerwater is a real rarity in the area. A natural large stillwater venue with a good stock of silverfish. As such it's a popular match venue with many either side of the Pennines. Though the bream don't grow especially large, there are certainlt plenty bigger than skimmers. There are also good shoals of roach with perch, pike and the occasional big wild brown trout. I don't recall fishing it this century, but definitely not in the last ten years. However, it was a regular venue when I fished league matches in the North East and Yorkshire region.

If it wasn't quite as far away, or as awkward to get to, I'd give it a whirl once in a while. When it's right, and the angler gets it right, big bags of bream and roach are well worth bothering with. I'd be happier if I could guarantee it not to be blowing a hoolie and/or chucking it down when I got there.

Molehill

Reaction score
Fly fishing using a "sight bob" . . . . as I prefer to keep my float fishing to using a waggler or a stick float thank you very much.

I also try to avoid stripping lures for trout as well . . . . . and if that makes me a "traditionalist" or a daft old sod, then, so be it . . . . it is my fishing after all ;)

My thinking 100%, good on you.

john step

Reaction score
Sea fishing from a boat. I only have to look at a boat to feel queasy. The only time I tried it out of Newhaven I spent the whole day hanging over the side waiting for death. The boatman, the wag said that I should stop puking when a round hairy thing came up as it would be my ringpiece.

silvers

Reaction score
surely it’s the matchfishing mentality to a tee?
I’ve won lots of prize money in the last decade on rivers with nets of fish under 5oz that most posters on here would not bother targeting.
If skimmers are what’s in front of me, that’s what I would target. As a match angler you have to get the most out of your peg, even if that means snatching bleak (which are surely even less satisfying to catch than skimmers?).
Personally, I most enjoy river venues that demand a range of methods and species to succeed, depending on where I draw. It tests a range of skills and combatting various challenges.