Angling Direct buy out Erics Angling.

sam vimes

Reaction score
This is my point exactly Sam. They haven't bought out small struggling companies, they've bought out most of the biggest tackle dealers in the U.K!

Watch their prices gradually rise as the competition falls by the wayside.

I wasn't really addressing your OP, just the "use it or lose it" theory of fishing tackle shop economics that is so often proposed.

How long before BobCo succumb?

That will depend on whether or not Bob has had enough, or gets a big enough offer to persuade him he has had enough. Don't hold your breath just yet. As it stands, I'd guess that there's more chance of the Leeds AD branch folding or being forced to concentrate on carp gear, taking up Eric's position in the local market place.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
How long before BobCo succumb?
NOOOOOoooooooo!

Had very few problems with them, more about out of stocks, but otherwise BobCo are brilliant and only £2 delivery charge. It costs me three times more than that to go to the 'local' (?) shop.

EDIT BIT: Just heard that Bonmarche have gone into administration leaving nearly 3000 jobs in the lurch. That's what worries me if the sun ever sets on AD, so many jobs lost all at once. I do like AD and have dealt with them for years now, but it is worrying.

Last edited:

Specihunter

Reaction score
It makes you wonder which of the big shops is next. My guess is poingdestres in Southampton it's big enough for them and they don't have a shop in Hampshire. I still reckon they want Glasgow angling. They wont come into cumbria not a big enough for them. I used them once and found it to be a cash machine. Because all tackle shops don't charge for Express its al next day or close to it angling charge £8 or you will have too wait 2 - 4 days.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It makes you wonder which of the big shops is next. My guess is poingdestres in Southampton it's big enough for them and they don't have a shop in Hampshire. I still reckon they want Glasgow angling. They wont come into cumbria not a big enough for them. I used them once and found it to be a cash machine. Because all tackle shops don't charge for Express its al next day or close to it angling charge £8 or you will have too wait 2 - 4 days.

They bought Chapmans from Glasgow Angling when they could have just bought the lot. This might suggest that they aren't overly interested in anything much further north than Leeds/Manchester. I'm yet to hear of them making bids for anything north of that. Time will tell, but it seems that Cumbria, North Yorkshire, County Durham, Northumberland and Scotland seem to be safe, for the moment.

Specihunter

Reaction score
They bought Chapmans from Glasgow Angling when they could have just bought the lot. This might suggest that they aren't overly interested in anything much further north than Leeds/Manchester. I'm yet to hear of them making bids for anything north of that. Time will tell, but it seems that Cumbria, North Yorkshire, County Durham, Northumberland and Scotland seem to be safe, for the moment.

Unless Glasgows numbers weren't that great and Chapman's was the only other store that could go is gerrys in morecambe, there are 2 veals 1 mail order and a tackle shop if they want Bristol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unless Glasgows numbers weren't that great and Chapman's was the only other store that could go is gerrys in morecambe, there are 2 veals 1 mail order and a tackle shop if they want Bristol.

I suspect it has more to do with eliminating mail order competition, in the carp and coarse angling markets, than actual acquisition of real estate. There are a few outlets up north that are at least equal to some of ADs more southerly outlets. They aren't players in the mail order market though. Because of that, I doubt that they grab the bean counter's attention.