Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Upsetting threads

It used to be considered to be pretty bad form to go cross forum like this.

However, it's really not worth worrying about, I'll bet John Bailey isn't losing any sleep. There's barely a "name" angler out there that won't have a collection of detractors. Whether or not they actually deserve to have detractors is another matter entirely.

I actively try to avoid it, but have had the odd minor brush with some "names". I've met some distinctly average anglers that are lauded. Some are guides, some angling authors/journalists. Some are rather economical with the truth along the way. Some are downright thugs, liars and backstabbers. It shouldn't come as a big surprise when others are only too pleased to shoot them down. Even if they don't deserve it, good old jealousy can be enough of a motivation for some.

Personally, I can't think of anything worse than being involved in all of that nonsense. Just take it all with a pinch of salt. However, be wary of putting anyone on a pedestal. Things are not always as they appear.

I have written on here a few times a tale about John Bailey who I ran into by accident down on the Wye when I was a young angler and he went out his way to help me and had absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I dont know about the thread in question or the claims but I know hes done allot of fishing outside the UK...Baltic Perch for example go a lot bigger than the British record...

I imagine some anglers might even thrive on the criticism. ...no such thing as bad publicity ?

I totally agree, I met John when backpacking in india with my wife. He lent me his rod for a week and I caught my first mahseer... he really helped and encouraged me

Quote Originally Posted by The occasional angler View Post
    I totally agree, I met John when backpacking in india with my wife. He lent me his rod for a week and I caught my first mahseer... he really helped and encouraged me
    I say again, why not defend JB and offer an alternative view on the thread that upsets you.

Previous experiences on the particular forum aforementioned has led me to the conclusion that they are more interested in combat than conversation.
    Last edited by The occasional angler; 19-10-2019 at 13:53.

There certainly can be some coin flippers on forums, do the mods intervene, or are they as bad as the others?

Coin flippers... love it

Quote Originally Posted by The occasional angler View Post
    Previous experiences on the particular forum aforementioned has led me to the conclusion that they are more interested in combat than conversation.
    If that’s the case and you know what they are like, don’t allow them to upset you.

Ignore them and don't frequent the site.

Never heard of said site and just had a look out of curiosity.
    Seems some like him and some don't.....
    Pretty standard, really, for anyone in the limelight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast