Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brolly dimensions?

Hi all. I am looking to get a new brolly and have my eye on a few models. I measured my old unbranded brolly and it has a diameter of 60" when open from the tip of rib to the opposite rib.

I thought the brolly was smaller than a 50" design, but it then occurred to me that I have no idea how brolly sizes are decided.

Does a 50" in brolly have 50" ribs? Or is it measured across its diameter?

The Korum super steel and graphite models have caught my eye.

Thanks

Default Re: Brolly dimensions?

When erected you measure on the outside of the brolly, from the center to the end tip of one of the ribs and what ever that reads is the size of your brolly. Supplied without prejudice.

This is what I was told and my brollies largely comply.i get enough strange looks just sitting under one without being seen outside with a tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    When erected you measure on the outside of the brolly, from the center to the end tip of one of the ribs and what ever that reads is the size of your brolly. Supplied without prejudice.

This is what I was told and my brollies largely comply.i get enough strange looks just sitting under one without being seen outside with a tape measure.
    I honestly had to read this twice due to having the mind of a 9yr old. So, I'm measuring the outside curve of one rib, from the centre boss to the tip. I really don't know why this has suddenly become so important to me but I'm actually slightly obsessed.

Thanks!

Yes the length of the rib. Some brollies are deeper and some flatter but that's the curvature of the ribs. I have thePreston 50" multi brolly which is big enough. I had the flat back one before that and foolishly lost it a water. I like the Korum and matrix ones too. Korum and Preston are the same company.

I'd always assumed that it was the width of the front opening.

This is quite a thought provoking thread - depth, height, width, length of ribs, centre pole, no centre pole and I'm sure some other stuff as well. 60" doesn't describe much, I now share PA's obsession.

As I have an oval umbrella, I'm even more now; nothing new there though

It's called Arc apparently. I had never realised just how complicated this could be. Here's a link; don't lose the will to live.

How are umbrellas measured? - Quora

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    It's called Arc apparently. I had never realised just how complicated this could be. Here's a link; don't lose the will to live.

How are umbrellas measured? - Quora
    I would have replied earlier, but fell asleep reading it

I think that piece is actually twoddle cut and pasted from various places - it could be this, it might be that, others do it how they want

In conclusion: get the dimensions from the manufacturer and or see it at your local tackle shop - taking all of your kit in to make sure it fits nicely

Manufacturers these days just don't seem willing to tell you anything, including the price; we're just expected to put it in the basket, enter card details and wait excitedly for the knock on the door - it works to, just read an advert / review and buy it

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    I'd always assumed that it was the width of the front opening.

This is quite a thought provoking thread - depth, height, width, length of ribs, centre pole, no centre pole and I'm sure some other stuff as well. 60" doesn't describe much, I now share PA's obsession.

As I have an oval umbrella, I'm even more now; nothing new there though
    Well after remeasuring the curve of the rib to the tip... I have that my current brolly is a 45" job. I've had it since about 1993 and to be fair it's lasted very well indeed but does have a hole and a slow leak.

A good point about manufacturers not telling the consumer much. I suspect it's due to them not actually manufacturing the items but rather rebranding and marking up. I think the actual business term is called shafting.

Anyway, with my newfound brolly measuring skills, I am at least armed with the ability to judge others on their rib curvature measurements.

Phil, It's Korum, Preston and Matrix.

Fishing Brolley size is determined

To find the correct measurements, measure the distance between the top and bottom the rib.

Then simply multiply that by two, which will give you the correct size.
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast