Will power.

rayner

Reaction score
Will power, don't talk to me of will power.
I convinced myself to thin out my tackle, the room I keep my tackle in is close to empty. Not satisfied the room was repainted. Looked nice, especially with the addition of a new rod. Yep my will power collapsed.
I read a post a few days ago regarding Angling Direct buying Eric's angling, after checking out their site I spotted a parabolic waggler rod for a very reasonable price, it showed it was the only one they had. Me being me I couldn't resist and bought the chuff.
Do I need a new rod I thought not, I have however got one.
My wife rolled her eyes but knows I would take about has much notice has she does when I roll my eyes at her new bags, shoes, jewellery and makeup

bracket

Reaction score
Rayner. I applaud you. You possess the strongest and most agreeable will power availible. That being the power not to resist. Fill your boots. Pete

rayner

Reaction score
Rayner. I applaud you. You possess the strongest and most agreeable will power availible. That being the power not to resist. Fill your boots. Pete

That's certainly an alterative way of looking at it. I'll take it though, not often I get applause.
Thanks.

Another Dave

Reaction score
There are 3 voices in your head. As well as the standard angel and devil on your shoulders there's a negotiator who says something like 'well i know you shouldn't really do the bad thing but look at it like this. You used to buy a rod every month and you haven't bought one for 3 months so in a way you can divide the cost by 3, just saying'.

d.owens

Reaction score
There are 3 voices in your head. As well as the standard angel and devil on your shoulders there's a negotiator who says something like 'well i know you shouldn't really do the bad thing but look at it like this. You used to buy a rod every month and you haven't bought one for 3 months so in a way you can divide the cost by 3, just saying'.

Mrs O - "hey, I've just saved us £1,000."
Me - "that's great love, what you do, switch electricity supplier or something?"
Mrs O - "no, I've just booked a holiday for £2,000......should have been £3,000!"
Me - "erm, so you've just spent two grand we haven't got?"
Mrs O - "durr, no stupid, I've just saved us £1,000....."

rayner

Reaction score
Mrs O - "hey, I've just saved us £1,000."
Me - "that's great love, what you do, switch electricity supplier or something?"
Mrs O - "no, I've just booked a holiday for £2,000......should have been £3,000!"
Me - "erm, so you've just spent two grand we haven't got?"
Mrs O - "durr, no stupid, I've just saved us £1,000....."

Not had an issue like that to deal with, I've never gone in for holidays, I've always saved my cash for our retirement. A real shame I'm clapped out.

mikench

Reaction score
It was Oscar Wilde who said" I can resist everything but temptation" . Life is too short to put things off or save for retirement at the expense of enjoying the present. I appreciate that isn't always possible or achievable but having money or a good pension but not the good health to enjoy either is pointless.

There comes a point when you've done your bit for kids, worked your socks off and deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labour. And remember it's never ever too late.

rayner

Reaction score
It was Oscar Wilde who said" I can resist everything but temptation" . Life is too short to put things off or save for retirement at the expense of enjoying the present. I appreciate that isn't always possible or achievable but having money or a good pension but not the good health to enjoy either is pointless.

There comes a point when you've done your bit for kids, worked your socks off and deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labour. And remember it's never ever too late.

You're dead right Mike, regarding life being too short to save at the expense of the present.
I still put money away even now, it's a sort of addiction now. I can't say I consider myself wealthy but I have more than I really need.
I should have shown a little less caution with my cash. I have friends who haven't got a bean but they are at least fit. OK my health issues are hereditary, to spend a few quid when I could enjoy it may have been a wise choice.
You can't put a price on health.

mikench

Reaction score
Surely you and your good lady would enjoy a lovely holiday. Somewhere warm but interesting in a hotel that can cater for all your requirements and where you can be pampered all day and everyday. There must be places in the world you always wanted to visit Gary? A good travel agent can advise.

Go on spoil yourself and if you won't do it for yourself do it for her.:)

rayner

Reaction score
Honestly I have no whish to go anywhere. I'm far better off here in Yorkshire. Namely Sheffield.
The furthest I've travelled is the Republic of Ireland, it was OK but it's not home, I once trailed to Scotland, in truth I class that place as just another county.
Both were fishing related trips that I enjoyed, I was with a group of Sheffield chaps. They made the excursions far better than the places I we were.

rayner

Reaction score
My gaffer has stopped trying to tempt me, she now accepted it's an impossible task.
A sort of blackmail I know but I buy her everything she desires with no limit, anything she wants she gets. I have never said no.
It's not extravagant, just think of what could be bought if folk saved their holiday money for other things. I'm well aware that there are some who enjoy new experiences, I'm not of that ilk.
I'm far from interested what other folk get up to in their own lands, or even what they have.

mikench

Reaction score
I understand. You can buy a lot of dresses etc with the money saved from a holiday depending on her taste in clothes.

nottskev

Reaction score
Let me add another angle to this willpower business. I've got far too many rods, mainly because I find it hard to sell them and some date back to 1980. I haven't added to the collection because new models would be an upgrade (very few rods of the type I use, imo, are upgrades on 90's or 00's classics); I bought several because I moved region, or found waters that my rods weren't quite right for. The result - quite a few rods that I won't sell because the price I could charge would be a pitiful fraction of their value (an important distinction) and I have a sneaking feeling that if I did sell some, I'd immediately discover some fishing they'd be perfect for and wish I hadn't.

So. I haven't got the willpower to sell the old ones. And I haven't got the willpower to buy new ones, even though I can see some uses for a couple of rods I don't have, as I have some kind of conscience, for want of a better word, that would make me uncomfortable if the number of rods etc got any more out of proportion to what I need. It's not that I'm against a bit of extravagance; I just don't like waste, and I don't want to feel like one of those blokes who own 47 pairs of trainers or the women who need a whole room to house their clothes.

One way out of the problem ( I'm not saying any of this is rational, by the way - but it's no more irrational than impulsively purchasing whatever you fancy) which I've found I can live with is to buy duplicates of some favourite old models, against the day I stand on one or whatever and can't replace it.
So whilst saying a firm 'no' to the latest glossy creations, I've ended up with 2 Diaflash 14's, 2 Carbonactive 15/17's, 2 Chimera 11' 6"'s, 3 Diaflash poles....... Buying the same rod twice doesn't count, fortunately.

mikench

Reaction score
Slightly disingenuous Kev if you don't mind me saying so. I'm doing the opposite to you in buying older rods to find out what I'd missed. I sill buy the odd new one as well.:rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
The bit about 2 identical rods only counting as 1. A rod is a rod and the more the merrier.:)