Which products for use as ointment or disinfectant?

Gaston664

Reaction score
I've seen on the webs that anglers use dab on disinfectant or antiseptic on their catches that need it.

I don't know what it says about the waters I fish at but I've noticed a few of my catches with little "cuts and bruises".

I'd like to do my bit by putting them back into the water having applied something like this to help them on their way.

Is this good practice? If so what products should I use?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I really have no scientific expertise as to whether the stuff works or not but I do carry a bottle, usually Nash or similar with the feeling that it may just help and wont do any harm anyway. Its worth the few quid to me.

steve2

Reaction score
One thing I have against using is they call them carp care kits and no fishery I know insists that you use them for other species. Don't any other species matter any more?

seth49

Reaction score
Korda propolis is the one I use. about the best I've used.

john step

Reaction score
What fish apart from carp do you use it on?

If there is a cut in the mouth or more often those big scales can come adrift from a large scaled mirror. I dab a bit on where the scale came off.I think this happens when they rub through something whilst being played. ( A submerged stick perhaps ?)

Keith M

Reaction score
I have carried a little bottle of Klin-Ik for years, for use if I find any open sores or cuts on any of the fish that I catch no matter what species.

It’s quite Rare for me to use it as I don’t use it for standard hook entry/exit holes, and I’ve had it for ages, but it’s still got a place in my tackle box just in case Its ever needed; like the time I caught a 6 to 8oz Roach on the canal that had very recently had the flesh of its tail area stripped bare of flesh by a predator of some kind.

NB: and it was still feeding so it didn’t appear to be too worried about any pain ???

Keith

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
One thing I have against using is they call them carp care kits and no fishery I know insists that you use them for other species. Don't any other species matter any more?

Yes well put It does seem that the only fish that matter now are those darn carp yes i catch them at my local fishery like shelling peas rather boring after a while but they are certainly NOT the king fish by a long long shot most commercial carp are FAT over weight lumps .

Hows about protecting Tench and Crucians or rudd there are plenty that could use a little TLC over and above Carp .

PG