Fly Fishing for Carp

C

Colin North, the one and only

What, not one swear word!!!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif. Very interesting.

davestocker

Reaction score
You've really got to use tough stuff with them. Even a 10 weight fly rod is not overgunned. The power is need for the playing, rather than the casting.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

That link just says SERVICE UNAVAILABLE

Reaction score
Dave,

Enjoyed that video tremendously. The only point I would make is that the use of a landing mat for decent size fish (of any species) is really a must nowadays, and it would have been nice to see that.

The other thing not mentioned is how effective fly fishing for carp can be. I remember turning up at a local lake a couple of years ago with all the gear for an overnight session and getting promptly stuffed by a couple of guys flyfishing a few swims down from me. They had half a dozen in the space a few hours whilst I blanked for 24!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Very interesting video, I just got some fly gear for x-mas, as i would like to learn fly fishing this year.

A friend of mine offered to take me fly fishing for carp, to a lake which holds carp up to 7-8lb. However, I've never tied a fly in my life. Can you buy the fly you were using?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Not so easily Claudia, but it's one of the easiest of all flies to tie. You spin deer hair around the hook and then clip it to the right size and shape.

This summer I want to do a fly tying, fly fishing day somewhere, when i get back from Oz.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ron, I haven't even got the gear to tie flies/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Yeah but you'll be doing it 'uuuuuuupppp north'....no good for us soft 'southerners' here /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

davestocker

Reaction score
Paraman, you're right about using a mat. Mea culpa, but it wasn't obligatory where we fished (and to be honest I hate going out with anything but the absolute minmum of necessary tackle.)

Your obs about the effectiveness of surface fishing for carp is spot on, IMO. When fly rodding I've usually done at least as well as other guys fishing with baits nailed to the floor. I actually think that carp might be happier as surface feeders (subject to weather considerations) than as bottom feeders. Floating baits are very effective (NB floating trout pellets work just like dog bikkies, and when the fishery where the film was made temporarily banned dog biscuits, I simply switched to pellets, getting round an ill-thought-out rule aimed at surface baits).