Centre pin line release

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of arbours.This maybe of interest particularly to Wetthrough and Bracket or Peter and Gordon as they are better known,:)

Old technology meets new....... Ive just received some 3D printed arbours designed for the Speedia reel which has a deep arbour, I believe cork was the material of choice but love a bit of new technology.

Just need to sort myself a lineguard now.

trotter2

Reaction score
I use a speedia reel a fair bit myself. You should not really need a line guard on this reel it is not really nessasary. Work on your technique before you start drilling holes.

Reaction score
Absolutely trotter,good technique is paramount,I was taught to Wallis cast using a three quarter ounce bomb,that said as I only tend to fish the pin from December on its difficult to hone your skills,therefore I have to put up with some unpleasant days,where it doesn't go right,normally when there is an upstream wind,which goes against all written about trotting.

trotter2

Reaction score
In those conditions I would use a more sensible reel a closed face .

sam vimes

Reaction score
You should not really need a line guard on this reel it is not really nessasary.

In those conditions I would use a more sensible reel a closed face.

Which is possibly why you believe line guards to be unnecessary. I will use a centrepin in conditions that many wouldn't. Not all of mine have line guards, but when I know conditions aren't favourable, I'll tend to pick one that does. Long rods and line guards allow me to trot with centrepins in places and conditions that see most resorting to different swims or methods.

trotter2

Reaction score
Just to go back and make this clear.
I did not say line guards were unnecessary Chris. What I said was a line guard should not be my choice on a speedia . It's a very deep arbour reel if your having problems with it it's your technique which is more at fault.
You should never need a line guard on a speedia. If your having problems in wind with a speedia a closed face reel is the way to go. Hope that's clear now.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I take onboard all these comments from those far more experienced with the pin than me. Yes an arbour is now in place, tried it for the first time for an hour yesterday afternoon and the wind whipped up and caused all the predictable problems, I’m halfway through making a lineguard in true Blue Peter style which will be finished tonight, both arbour and guard are easily removed if I choose to do so, I did also notice an improvement in the retrieval speed with the larger arbour. All good fun for a reel that cost just £33 and the arbour another fiver, the lineguard cost nothing, Garry Mills quoted me £45 and I’m sure it would be a work of art but hardly worth the cost on my cheap purchase.

I’ll always have a closed face reel in the bag if it all goes pear shaped.

Philip

Reaction score
Ive just received some 3D printed arbours designed for the Speedia reel which has a deep arbour, I believe cork was the material of choice but love a bit of new technology.

Not sure I follow..are you saying its 3D printed in cork ?

....I ask as I thought they 3D printed in resin.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure I follow..are you saying its 3D printed in cork ?

....I ask as I thought they 3D printed in resin.

Sorry, I didn’t word that well. Cork strips were the popular method for packing out an arbour but some clever bod designed an arbour using CAD and 3D technology,you can have them made from a variety of materials and colours, mine being made from Polylatic Acid (PLA), that’s plastic to me!

If anyone has a Speedia reel and would like one of these arbours the designer has given his pattern to the web for public use, I can give a link to the site.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I first seen those arbour reducers a few years back on another forum.
The deep arbour on a speedia is one of the main reasons why I love them.
They are a tangle proof design I would imagine it's one of the reason other anglers get on so well with them also. Yes it's a slower retrieve but so what is the hurry when pleasure fishing anyways. I would much rather have a reel that is great to use,lightweight, tangle proof and affordable and needs no line guard Sam.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Right got yer,ditch the arbour reducer then. You are solving one problem and creating another .

Often the way with centrepins. A fine excuse to have as many different designs as possible.

it's a slower retrieve but so what is the hurry when pleasure fishing anyways.

Because I find retrieving really slowly from a long trot is a painful experience. It's no fun when you spend more time retrieving than you do actually fishing.

I would much rather have a reel that is great to use,lightweight, tangle proof and affordable and needs no line guard Sam.

I don't particularly care which reel I use on the day, line guard or not. I just pick the best for the conditions and the rod I intend to use. However, one of my fundamental requirements of being able to retrieve "finger through" rules the likes of a Speedia out for me.

Ultimately, I hate seeing people say you shouldn't use a line guard. They can be an absolute boon to a beginner or anyone that uses a pin in less than perfect conditions. Usually, those slating line guards are experienced users of pins that have totally forgotten how tortuous learning to use them was.

The "you can't Wallis cast with a line guard" thing is similar. Many people just take it as read. They don't actually give it a go. Very few people question it. Perhaps I'm not Wallis casting properly, but I'm doing something akin to Wallis casting, and I'm still getting the distance. That'll do nicely for me.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
You can still Wallis cast with a line guard I used to do it. Only down side is if you do overrun and get a tangle. A line guard with almost certainty require a pair of scissors to sort out.
Probably enough from me on centrepins I can feel it getting heated??????

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why does it need to get heated? You have your opinion, mine and others may differ, this thread has gone way off topic but it’s me that started it and I’ve found ALL contributions interesting and useful and happy to discuss all aspects of using a pin.

It’s worth remembering that different people have different levels of skill, mine being complete novice, it’s also worth mentioning that we fish different types of waters, I fish the local Kentish Stour that is no more than a stream in places, I’ll have no need to learn the Wallis cast, my loop flick will suffice. The very fact that some experienced anglers prefer to use an increased diameter of arbour and also a lineguard says to me that it’s something worth considering and a bit of experimentation is in order.

Finally, I would also add that I try and tailor my fishing styles and equipment I use to fit in with my capabilities, e.g. I have the onset of arthritis in my fingers, a real p in the a of a handicap for many aspects of fishing, I find batting a reel much easier than using handles or poking a digit in one of the holes, it’s fun and satisfying to adapt/modify kit to suit my needs.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Whatever the pros and cons, I reckon they're a joy to use for trotting, there's an inherently pleasurable feel about them that I don't get from using a fixed spool or closed face.