Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Centre pin line release

Speaking of arbours.This maybe of interest particularly to Wetthrough and Bracket or Peter and Gordon as they are better known,

Old technology meets new....... Ive just received some 3D printed arbours designed for the Speedia reel which has a deep arbour, I believe cork was the material of choice but love a bit of new technology.

Just need to sort myself a lineguard now.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I wouldn't swap the handles on my Atoms for those fitted to Speedias!

I use a speedia reel a fair bit myself. You should not really need a line guard on this reel it is not really nessasary. Work on your technique before you start drilling holes.

Blog Entries

Absolutely trotter,good technique is paramount,I was taught to Wallis cast using a three quarter ounce bomb,that said as I only tend to fish the pin from December on its difficult to hone your skills,therefore I have to put up with some unpleasant days,where it doesn't go right,normally when there is an upstream wind,which goes against all written about trotting.

In those conditions I would use a more sensible reel a closed face .

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    You should not really need a line guard on this reel it is not really nessasary.
    Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    In those conditions I would use a more sensible reel a closed face.
    Which is possibly why you believe line guards to be unnecessary. I will use a centrepin in conditions that many wouldn't. Not all of mine have line guards, but when I know conditions aren't favourable, I'll tend to pick one that does. Long rods and line guards allow me to trot with centrepins in places and conditions that see most resorting to different swims or methods.

Just to go back and make this clear.
    I did not say line guards were unnecessary Chris. What I said was a line guard should not be my choice on a speedia . It's a very deep arbour reel if your having problems with it it's your technique which is more at fault.
    You should never need a line guard on a speedia. If your having problems in wind with a speedia a closed face reel is the way to go. Hope that's clear now.

You have noticed that S63 has fitted an arbour reducer to his Speedia?

I take onboard all these comments from those far more experienced with the pin than me. Yes an arbour is now in place, tried it for the first time for an hour yesterday afternoon and the wind whipped up and caused all the predictable problems, I’m halfway through making a lineguard in true Blue Peter style which will be finished tonight, both arbour and guard are easily removed if I choose to do so, I did also notice an improvement in the retrieval speed with the larger arbour. All good fun for a reel that cost just £33 and the arbour another fiver, the lineguard cost nothing, Garry Mills quoted me £45 and I’m sure it would be a work of art but hardly worth the cost on my cheap purchase.

I’ll always have a closed face reel in the bag if it all goes pear shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Ive just received some 3D printed arbours designed for the Speedia reel which has a deep arbour, I believe cork was the material of choice but love a bit of new technology.
    Not sure I follow..are you saying its 3D printed in cork ?

....I ask as I thought they 3D printed in resin.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast