Centre pin line release

peterjg

Reaction score
Re an earlier comment made by Sam Vines - Sam, if you have the line coming from the top of the spool you don't need a line guard at all!

John Keane

Reaction score
Re an earlier comment made by Sam Vines - Sam, if you have the line coming from the top of the spool you don't need a line guard at all!

Just cannot reconcile myself to winding backwards - ever! Plus, I like line guards.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lineguard fitted, not pretty but hopefully functional.

Loz2286

Reaction score
Interesting thread folks. I've got really into pins recently, even using them in matches where they give me superior presentation when fish are out of pole range. They are my go-to reels when roving rivers.

sam vimes

Reaction score

That may be so, but, as I also suggested earlier in the thread, if retrieving backwards is an insurmountable problem for you, it's irrelevant.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The Speedia arbours were designed by a Luderick angler in Australia, Matt McHugh, who published his work on "Thingiverse" (I think) and therefore deserves beatification.
What we now need is computer-savvy bods to modify this for their own particular favourite "pillared" reel and repeat the generous gesture...if anyone does the Avon Royal Supreme, Black Cat, Golden Eagle or Match Aerial, please give me a squawk! Or even the Kiev reel! (I've removed the casting brake from one of these, and it's so free-running I wonder where the motor is).
The problem is that most 'pin-heads are boomers, whereas most 3-D printer fans are millennials or younger. Hey, ho.
At least my less wobbly Speedias all bear Saint Matt's arbours, and have thereby gone from good to great.

sis the roach

Reaction score
I think you find it easier if you are going to wails cast having the the line of the bottom also easier for batting in

wetthrough

Reaction score
The problem is that most 'pin-heads are boomers, whereas most 3-D printer fans are millennials or younger. Hey, ho.
At least my less wobbly Speedias all bear Saint Matt's arbours, and have thereby gone from good to great.

Despite being a boomer (prefer BOF myself:) I do a lot of 3d work and would willingly do models. I also think the design could be improved on. It could be made lighter and have ventilation/drain slots in the periphery. I suspect the original Speedia one was designed for FDM (fused deposition modeling) which has limitations regarding how it can be designed. If SLS (selective laser sintering) in nylon was acceptable almost anything is possible. I started doing one before S63 found a source:

pin_arbour.jpg

The price worked out at about £7.50 per half although there's postage on top of that of £5

I suspect wet line would stick to a simple drum hence the bumps in the periphery but they don't have to be there, I was just playing about.

Two problems. 1) It might not be right first time. 2) I don't have any reels.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
nice work Gordon, let me know if you’d like me to trial them for you.:)

liphook

Reaction score
I'd be interested in an arbours for G&Y Avon Royal Supremes

wetthrough

Reaction score
Just so there's no confusion. I don't have a 3d printer. I can make models but only if I have the reel in question. I don't have any centre pins at all so it would mean sending me the reel for me to take dimensions. I would email the model to whoever and it would then be up to them to get the printing done and as I've said, there are no guarantees it would be right first time. I'd like to think it would be but the 0.1mm tolerance of 3d printing means things can end up a bit smaller or larger than you expect. The likelihood of a first print being unusable is slim but it might need some fettling. A second print of course doubles the cost so you could end up paying ~£40 for one set of arbors possibly more if it's bigger than the Speedia4. PM me if anyone's still interested. Post here if you've any ideas for further improvements.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If anyone owns a narrow drum Speedia I have a spare 3D printed arbour if wanted.