Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Centre pin line release

From the top or from the bottom, any pros and cons or does it not matter?

Default Re: Centre pin line release

It's just a matter of personal preference there is no right way - I prefer my line from the bottom.....
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

That's how I have it .

Tried top and bottom - top is much better.

It's just a matter of taste. Though I've tried both ways, I only use "off the bottom" now. Reeling in backwards was simply something I was never going to get used to. Any potential benefit of "off the top" was rendered totally pointless. The suggested benefit of "off the top" is that it's less affected by windy conditions.

I've ended up, having tried both, with the line from the top. It doesn't seem to make much odds for small to medium size fish, but for bigger fish that are likely to take line it makes a difference to braking the drum. With line from the bottom, the spool will be pushing against your thumb as it turns, and it's much more prone to give you (or me, anyway) a juddery, jumpy drag. With line from the top, the drum is pulling away from your thumb and it feels easier to apply a smooth pressure to it.

Off the bottom for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I've ended up, having tried both, with the line from the top. It doesn't seem to make much odds for small to medium size fish, but for bigger fish that are likely to take line it makes a difference to braking the drum. With line from the bottom, the spool will be pushing against your thumb as it turns, and it's much more prone to give you (or me, anyway) a juddery, jumpy drag. With line from the top, the drum is pulling away from your thumb and it feels easier to apply a smooth pressure to it.
    Whether it works like this depends on how the rod/reel combination works together and how an individual holds a rod and centrepin combination. The way I hold a rod/reel and apply my thumb, it makes no difference. The pressure is the same whichever way the reel rotates. I do appreciate that it's not the same for others whose hold is different to mine.

Off the bottom, winding backwards just isn't right, imo.

off the top for me. Line seems to pay out better and as Nottskev says, braking big fish with the drum rotating anti-clockwise is an easier business altogether.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast