Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite bird?

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Favourite bird?

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Spent hours watching two pairs of choughs whilst my missus and boys were farting around on a beach in West Wales,amazing in flight,then grazing for worms on the tops of cliffs,then a bearded assassin shot through looking for a pigeon,great day....
    Lucky you. I'm rarely in the areas that chough frequent though the one time I was the damned things were not at home. I'm going to have to make a special trip.

I set up a "peregrine CAM" at a secret west midlands location
    Was a lot of fun
    But then had to disable the feed when we found that local pigeon fanciers were threatening to poison them
    When we went to replace the cameras under supervision of course because they are a protected species I was amazed at the amount of ringed "skeletons" we found

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Lucky you. I'm rarely in the areas that chough frequent though the one time I was the damned things were not at home. I'm going to have to make a special trip.
    Go to West Wales,do a bit of dolphin watching too,you see them virtually daily from the visitor centre at New Quay,I saw the choughs at Munt,along with the peregrine and some dolphins,nice part of the world too...

See Choughs at South Stack, Anglesey, they have a nest cam in the cliffs to monitor them.

And on the Lyn Peninsula overlooking Bardsey.

Just had a shock as a small bird the size of a robin flew onto the patio, hit the glass door and then looked around, flew away from the table and then off whence it came. Instead of a red breast it had a blue one. According to my book of European birds it was most definately a bluethroat and a very pretty bird it was too .

The other evening I saw a huge murmuration of starlings settling into the tall palm trees near the promenade. It was a huge flock.

I can't believe i'm the first to get here with this but my absolutely favourite bird to see whilst fishing is the grey heron. I love the way that such a massive thing can seemingly disappear at will amongst reeds - I love to watch them fish as well, although you do really need to keep very still if you want them to go about their business anywhere near you. I'm not sure why but they're very much my "good luck" bird too... once I've seen one, I convince myself then that it's going to be a good session. And despite being a fishing bird, I never really see it as competition.

I guess that my favourite whilst fishing was a water rail ... which spend about an hour skulking around on top of a dead reed bed about 11m away from me on a Nene backwater 25 years ago.
    On top of the great experience of observing it so close ... it’s the only one I’ve ever seen!

Blog Entries

Really,I've seen quite a few,although they are secretive,the first one I saw I caught whilst fishing the old Stareys number one peg at Radwell,it must have been skulking under my feet and as I cast it took off and the line wrapped around it's leg,I got it in with the landing net and untangle it and after I had a close look I released it gladly unharmed,the most amazing thing to me is it has no webbing on its feet,yet swims around though awkwardly....

Favourite bird?-d7e32e07-8f0b-4d2e-b17d-6d6e7d382dcc.jpg
    Moorhen are the same, no webbing between toes but they swim well enough,
    This one stays with me most off the day while I fish scrounging pellets and maggots of me, one of this years chicks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast