Favourite bird?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
No particular favourites, one or two I hate, cormorants for example, but only because they're not where they should be, on the coast. One I am very much please with is the red kite. Once almost extinct in this country, but now in abundance around here, some say too many of them, but they are lovely birds. This from my own garden and they love a bacon joint or chips, good old oily fried chips...

and the bacon joint, notice how they avoid the bread...
YouTube

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can't believe i'm the first to get here with this but my absolutely favourite bird to see whilst fishing is the grey heron. I love the way that such a massive thing can seemingly disappear at will amongst reeds - I love to watch them fish as well, although you do really need to keep very still if you want them to go about their business anywhere near you. I'm not sure why but they're very much my "good luck" bird too... once I've seen one, I convince myself then that it's going to be a good session. And despite being a fishing bird, I never really see it as competition.
Funny you saying that, after reading this had a walk in the park and spotted one on this island, never seen one there before. A cormorant was nearby which is usually there but not a Heron. They are impressive birds, maybe we just get used to seeing them.

John Keane

Reaction score
I have been wanting, for a long time, to see Crested t!ts up on Speyside. But never succeeded mostly due to the pressures of fishing and not being in the right place.

Anyways, at the moment I’m doing a bit of birding out of Grantown on Spey and yesterday I finally managed to see one of the little cuties at Loch Garten.

Attachments

• D7587DE5-039D-4672-8E18-F4D62BE47526.jpeg
    D7587DE5-039D-4672-8E18-F4D62BE47526.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 130

Reaction score
I went and picked up a sack of sunflower hearts for my wife's aunt and grabbed around four kilos of Micros up for myself last week,dropped them off as she was out and a couple of days later she popped round to pay for them,we were talking about the birds she got on her feeders,she got all the usual suspects,but she also gets quite a few coal ****,I said to her we don't get them at mine,they have made me a liar as I've had three or four coming in daily ever since,lol....

Absolutely ridiculous that the system has bleeped out T1TS when it is a word and not swearing,absolute b0ll0cks......:mad:

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I went and picked up a sack of sunflower hearts for my wife's aunt and grabbed around four kilos of Micros up for myself last week,dropped them off as she was out and a couple of days later she popped round to pay for them,we were talking about the birds she got on her feeders,she got all the usual suspects,but she also gets quite a few coal ****,I said to her we don't get them at mine,they have made me a liar as I've had three or four coming in daily ever since,lol....

Absolutely ridiculous that the system has bleeped out T1TS when it is a word and not swearing,absolute b0ll0cks......:mad:

Strange that, I have had a lot of them in the gardens behind me as well for the last few weeks, never seen them before.

Another tit that I have never seen although I have been to a place where they exist is the bearded.

Reaction score
I've never seen one either,I wonder if the normal food of the coal tit has thinner out earlier due to weather conditions this year.

How come you can write tit and not ****,shaking head emoji here....

John Keane

Reaction score
I've never seen one either,I wonder if the normal food of the coal tit has thinner out earlier due to weather conditions this year.

How come you can write tit and not ****,shaking head emoji here....

Mary Whitehouse must be one of the moderators!