Hemp & Tares

rayner

Reaction score
Try it, I've never done hemp in a pressure cooker, it could work well. Remember if you cook hemp too much it's no good for hooking.
I don't think tares would be a good idea as they are too easy to over cook.

xenon

Reaction score
Too right-the difference between Tare like bullets and mush is about 5 seconds cooking time!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thought of starting this on another thread so sorry if it waylays this one a bit-I have not used hemp much but undoubtedly it has fish attraction qualities. When I do I buy those tins, about £3.50. They do me; one tin lasts two or three sessions. I can remember cooking hemp in saucepans on the stove when I was young and it was a bit of a palaver. These tins seem ideal to me and £3.50 is not a huge sum. And I make my fishing as simple and easy as possible these days, just an age and health thing.
I wonder if you can get tares in a tin, never looked or asked and maybe wheat. I have never tried either but I would give them a go maybe if an easy buy like tinned hemp. Any other baits you can get in a tin I don’t know about apart from sweet corn, chickpeas etc?

mikench

Reaction score
They are and they do. Small bags are sold on eBay which are ok too at £2.95 with free postage.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Dynamite baits do tinned tares, to my mind they are OK for feed but not good enough for the hook, nothing beats preparing your own.
I never feed tares as far as I'm concerned they are an hook bait only, for roach in particular.
I only take a few tares for hooking, if you're happy with using tinned portion them up and freeze them.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I understand Rayner, preparing your own is better but these look ideal to me, just what I was looking for-and there a few other baits I might try on there as well, I will order some.
Any heads up on what's best flavour wise, aniseed, natural or berry burst.

rayner

Reaction score
Talking flavours is not really in my remit. I have dabbled in them but the verdict for me is still out.
Regarding hemp and tares. both have loads of attractants naturally. l doubt any flavours could improve them.
I'm sure others may have different ideas.

GT56

Reaction score
Using a pressure cooker I imagine might be a trial and error process and fraught with problems.
I stopped cooking hemp years back due to a few issues mainly down to the saucepan on the odd occasion both boiling over and dry, beware these tiny misjudgements can initiate some serious moaning/complaints.
And now prefer to prepare hemp in a flask over night, really easy, trouble free and it defiantly splits.
For hook bait I purchased some Tares from the tackle shop in a resalable a tub and couldn't fault them.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I cook a gallon of hemp in a big saucepan then freeze in bags of about a pint and half. I've finally stumbled on doing tares overnight in a flak, no fine tuning on the timing and so easy, and then freeze in very small bags as I only use tares as hook bait.