Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Centre pin for a beginner

You may have seen in another centrepin thread currently running that I’ve recently acquired a Speedia reel, bought it for £33 off a Facebook page. I’m a bit of a romantic and liked the idea of using a well engineered piece made in England, this one close to home coming from Shepherds Bush!

Plenty of recommendations on the web for the Speedia as a good beginners reel, needs a bit of searching, they can attract good money from collectors but they turn up at boot sales, FB and I just missed a wide drum version on the bay that sold for just over £30. A true pin and even with a bit of wobble perform well and at just under 200grams is a very light reel.

I’ve modified mine with a plastic arbour to make the spool shallower and also made a lineguard from a length of piano wire.

Quote Originally Posted by seth49 View Post

I’ve got one of the Matt Hayes limited edition pins, number 613 from memory, which I use for margin fishing for carp, it’s fine with 12 lb bs line, never had a problem with it, landed me a lot of carp this year, and it’s real hit and hold fishing, it’s certainly stood up to it well, had lots of carp to low doubles, which fight really hard here as well.
    Fair enough - perhaps some were better made than others? It was certainly robust-looking - but there was no doubting - or avoiding - the line (10lb) behind the drum issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Are you thinking of the Fred Crouch Truepin Trotter -
    Yes that was the one. I didn't think you would have binned that.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I think the cheaper ones lack a refinement or two in the effort to keep the price down. I like the Trudex/Rapidex thumb screw where the tension can be altered. Useful for non trotting stillwater applications.
    Advances in bearings, alloys and machining mean that a £60 budget pin can be technically superior, weigh less and turn better than an old JW Young. A new £25 carbon Shakespeare rod will be a better fishing rod than a 1950’s built cane rod. Tackle evolution exists for a purpose.

In response to the OP, not a deal breaker, but one with a quick release spool, this can make it easier to sort out any tangles.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    In response to the OP, not a deal breaker, but one with a quick release spool, this can make it easier to sort out any tangles.
    Good point; with the reel I was criticising, you needed circlip pliers to take the spool off.....

Centre pin for a beginner-ea3bcae9-ce2b-4aff-8ab0-4d23a1753e2b.jpg
    Centre pin for a beginner-3d5a3ec0-3dfd-4018-86bc-929a59b4eea6.jpg
    This is the Matt Hayes pin that I use, I think I know the one you mean Kev, and your right there rubbish, this one is a Young’s copy looking at it, I paid fifty pounds for it brand new, a good few years ago.

Blog Entries

Most of the time I use my pins for trotting on small steams and rivers after Barbel, Chub, Roach and Dace; with the very occasional day spent trotting on a slightly larger river; and for this I find that my Okuma Sheffield Centrepin is excellent not only because of its smooth and easy line release but also because you can buy spare spools for it quite easily.

NB: you can also buy different types of bearings including ceramic ones if you really wanted to.

The Okuma Adventa Pro is also a great trotting reel like the Sheffield, and can be bought for a lot less.

I also have a ‘Black Cat’ Centrepin and also a prototype version of this same reel that I occasionally use on stillwaters when I’m fishing for Tench using the lift method plus when I’m after a few Carp fishing close in.
    NB: The prototype version was from when was trying to develop a more balanced centre drag control for the BlackCat reel a few years after it came out for someone who had bought the dyes.

I also have an Arial Centrepin which I used to use quite a bit when bouncing a bait after Barbel on the river Kennet a few years ago, but I rarely use this centrepin nowerdays as my Sheffield is a lot better for doing this.

Non of my pins have line guards and I’ve never really missed having a line guard either, although I can see why some find them useful; however if I ever did buy a pin fitted with one then it would have to be a removable line guard and not a fixed one as even the anglers that like them don’t always need them; especially if they want to increase their retrieve speed by batting.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 04-11-2019 at 12:14.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seth49 View Post
    Centre pin for a beginner-ea3bcae9-ce2b-4aff-8ab0-4d23a1753e2b.jpg
    Centre pin for a beginner-3d5a3ec0-3dfd-4018-86bc-929a59b4eea6.jpg
    This is the Matt Hayes pin that I use, I think I know the one you mean Kev, and your right there rubbish, this one is a Young’s copy looking at it, I paid fifty pounds for it brand new, a good few years ago.
    That's the reel I have,I've had barbel to double figures,chub to six,on 5/6lb line,never had an issue of line getting behind the drum,don't need to,on my day I can tangle for England Wallis casting,other days I don't get one tangle.Going back to the original post,I don't think there is 'a reel' for the beginner,a beginner normally makes an entire hash of casting,so an awful lot of determination to succeed is required....

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    That's the reel I have,I've had barbel to double figures,chub to six,on 5/6lb line,never had an issue of line getting behind the drum,don't need to,on my day I can tangle for England Wallis casting,other days I don't get one tangle.Going back to the original post,I don't think there is 'a reel' for the beginner,a beginner normally makes an entire hash of casting,so an awful lot of determination to succeed is required....
    Wouldn’t hold up Wallis casting as the be all and end all for a beginner to master. I used a centrepin from the age of 5 to around 18 and never learned the Wallis Cast. Just pulling loops from 3 or 4 rings always did me. Nowadays, being geared up for salmon fishing, I just wade deep enough to utilise the same cast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast