Foul hooked on a hair rigged boilie fished off the bottom?

Gaston664

Reaction score
This was just a standard boilie, fished off the bottom, using a 30g feeder with crushed up boilies in the mix.

I had just landed a double and then my other rod went crazy.

During the fight I started to think the fight was a bit odd even if it was a larger double.

Finally got him up to the surface and realised he was foul hooked just in front of his pectoral fin.

How would this have happened? Could carpy have just been swimming real close to the bottom?

The hook appeared to have made a cut through his flesh, which left me feeling a bit guilty. However there was no blood, so one possibility is that the cut was already there, giving the hook a place to latch into as he swan by? Also, if the hook had cut his skin then why didn't it just come out at that point?

It was a really good session overall, but I do feel bad I left carpy with a cut :(

What can I do to avoid foul hooking?

I thought it was mostly when fishing off the surface that it happens?

Was this just bad luck?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve foul hooked a few on the bottom this year, mostly when using a hair rig.
My thoughts where, the fish or fishes where digging about or swimming around the baited area causing the bait to lift in the turbulence they create. And as hair rig hooks have no bait on them they are more exposed (especially if it’s a long hair) they are more easily able to hook into fins etc as the bait wafts around.
If you watch some of these underwater videos of fish feeding quite often the bait/ loose feed is going everywhere rushing and falling in the turbulence of feeding fish

I could be completely wrong but that was my thoughts

seth49

Reaction score
Usually get a few like this every year, as said a hook on a hair is very exposed and it doesn’t take much to foul hook one when they are feeding, have had hookholds anywhere on there bodies,even with a method feeder and four inch hook lengths.

The bad one

Reaction score
I'd say you've about nailed it there Rich.
Foul hooking happens from time to time it's part and parcel of angling, we don't intentionally set out to snag them this way. So no guilt should be beating you up when it does happen in my view.