How local is local

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m lucky having the sea 5 minutes away, lakes 7 minutes and the river 15 minutes drive. I know someone who has river frontage at the end of his garden but doesn’t fish it, I’ve tried for an invite and failed miserably.

Philip

Reaction score
For a couple of hours fishing I would not want to be travelling more than about 30mins each way although on occasion when I have my keenie head on I would go further.

Sometimes you make the effort as you just know you have to be somewhere as the conditions are spot on and you just have to get a bait in the water.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have a very near reservoir about two miles away,
the much improved Rother and Don a similar distance and Aston park springs that I can walk to in some fifteen minutes from home.
I can fish for Trout n Greyling on the Don, most coarse species on the Rother and tho not a fan of commercials lots of carp, ide, and small silverfish at the Aston park complex of several ponds.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go fishing for two hours locally,my nearest river stretches are around 20 miles/minutes,stillwaters similar,maybe slightly less.

Keith M

Reaction score
Between the two clubs that I belong to I have 5 local lakes, two small local rivers and a local gravel pit complex all located within 2 or 3 miles from my house. My favourite local venue being a beautiful remote estate lake where I’m often the only person there and which is only a 15 minute walk from my house.

There are a couple of overstocked commercial/match lakes full of pasties which are not far away, but I would only ever fish these if I’ve got an inter club team match that has been organised on one of them by an opposing club team.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm 3 minutes from a canal, but I'd only fish it under armed guard, and 5 minutes from the Trent, which has plenty of roach, dace and perch but the bigger fish only feed at night and in the right conditions. It's good for a couple of hours evening fishing early season. I almost invariably drive over both on my way to more attractive places.

Within 30 - 40 mins drive I've got some great Trent stretches, the Derwent, the Soar and the Erewash, together with some good stillwaters and four canals. Most of my fishing takes about half an hour to get to, though I don't mind occasional expeditions taking an hour.

It's hard to generalise about travel time. Early or late in the day, I can get to a venue 20 miles away in half an hour. Catch the traffic wrong and it will take an hour to get home from a lake 8 miles up the road.

Reaction score
I definitely seem to live in the wrong part of the country for local fishing.

I think a move is in order mate:),my old mate in Christcurch has the Throop a few hundred yards away,so is 5/15 minutes away depending on traffic from the Royalty and tidal Stour,the sea is just a few minutes more,not sure about lakes,but I know he has plenty...

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I think a move is in order mate,my old mate in Christcurch has the Throop a few hundred yards away,so is 5/15 minutes away depending on traffic from the Royalty and tidal Stour,the sea is just a few minutes more,not sure about lakes,but I know he has plenty...

I did plan years ago on moving to Ringwood but life got in the way. Now until the mother-in-law pops off looks we are staying put. Then we will move nearer our son and daughter-in-law who are planning to move to Buckinghamshire.

Reaction score
Circumstances always hinder our plans Steve...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ringwood/Christchurch area would be one of my first choices, been there many times, nice market town and maybe some of the best fishing in the country or was, maybe not so much now but still good. And Dorset/Hampshire maybe my favorite counties. Pricey though.

Reaction score
And mine Mark,though beyond our cash limits though,I would need to put around £100,000 grand on top of my house value,which would leave us severely depleted....;) Nay,shafted in retirement...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I did plan years ago on moving to Ringwood but life got in the way. Now until the mother-in-law pops off looks we are staying put. Then we will move nearer our son and daughter-in-law who are planning to move to Buckinghamshire.

I live in Bucks. There is no shortage of fishing....it just depends what sort of fishing you like. There is miles and miles of canal and countless rock hard "big pits" in the Colne valley. That said....on the whole, parking is a real pain.

I do a lot of my fishing round the Guildford,Godalming,Dorking area and that means the M25 and A3....there just is no other practical way. OK at silly o'clock in the morning but a nightmare from about 6 am on until maybe 7-30 in the evening. It makes it a long old day in the summer unless you pack early and even then the M25 will get you....it gets me anyway. It doubles the journey time so what should take me 50 mins or so regularly takes 2 hours.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A few years back, I came to the realisation that my wanderlust had been well and truly sated. I had little appetite for travel (commuting, holidaying, or for fishing) and no desire whatsoever to relocate, beyond a ten mile radius, for any reason.

Along with that realization came an acceptance that I'll never be wealthy. I won't live in a flash house or have flash cars and holidays. By most measures of wealth, I'm **** poor. I don't even have a valid passport anymore.

I've also had to accept the local fishing for what it is. I'm not going to lament the fishing opportunities that aren't available on my doorstep. Driving beyond twenty miles for slightly bigger, or slightly more, fish just isn't going to happen.

john step

Reaction score
A few years back, I came to the realisation that my wanderlust had been well and truly sated. I had little appetite for travel (commuting, holidaying, or for fishing) and no desire whatsoever to relocate, beyond a ten mile radius, for any reason.

Along with that realization came an acceptance that I'll never be wealthy. I won't live in a flash house or have flash cars and holidays. By most measures of wealth, I'm **** poor. I don't even have a valid passport anymore.

I've also had to accept the local fishing for what it is. I'm not going to lament the fishing opportunities that aren't available on my doorstep. Driving beyond twenty miles for slightly bigger, or slightly more, fish just isn't going to happen.

May I just chip in about you saying you dont have a valid passport anymore. This may apply to others on here or who are caring for elderly relatives. Recently we had the ****ens of a job with bank and building society bureaucracy regarding my elderly mother. She had thrown her out of date passport and photo driving licence away as she would not use them.

They wanted photo ID. Even an out of date document would have been OK.

bullet

Reaction score
I suppose my idea of local is no more than 30 minutes in the car. I used to frequently do this, but a few years back I found a nice bit of private river 5 minutes drive from my house.
Trouble is that it has made me lazy....In the summer, I can get in after work, have a bit of supper and a pint and potter off down there for a couple of hours.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
closest fishable water ie not full of prams , magnet fishers , kids , litter - 7 miles away by bike so 35 minutes

bailpy6

Reaction score
for me, I have my club waters I fish, which is about a 20-25 minute drive. However they are a few day tickets around me which are about a 5 minute drive. For River's its harder, probably 30 minutes.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Sea fishing less the 100 m
Fluff chucking river 3 miles pond 10ish miles
Coarse pondno more then 10 river yeah over a hundred