Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  63
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: How local is local

I’m lucky having the sea 5 minutes away, lakes 7 minutes and the river 15 minutes drive. I know someone who has river frontage at the end of his garden but doesn’t fish it, I’ve tried for an invite and failed miserably.

For a couple of hours fishing I would not want to be travelling more than about 30mins each way although on occasion when I have my keenie head on I would go further.

Sometimes you make the effort as you just know you have to be somewhere as the conditions are spot on and you just have to get a bait in the water.

Blog Entries

I have a very near reservoir about two miles away,
    the much improved Rother and Don a similar distance and Aston park springs that I can walk to in some fifteen minutes from home.
    I can fish for Trout n Greyling on the Don, most coarse species on the Rother and tho not a fan of commercials lots of carp, ide, and small silverfish at the Aston park complex of several ponds.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't go fishing for two hours locally,my nearest river stretches are around 20 miles/minutes,stillwaters similar,maybe slightly less.

Blog Entries

Between the two clubs that I belong to I have 5 local lakes, two small local rivers and a local gravel pit complex all located within 2 or 3 miles from my house. My favourite local venue being a beautiful remote estate lake where I’m often the only person there and which is only a 15 minute walk from my house.

There are a couple of overstocked commercial/match lakes full of pasties which are not far away, but I would only ever fish these if I’ve got an inter club team match that has been organised on one of them by an opposing club team.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 08-11-2019 at 10:19.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I definitely seem to live in the wrong part of the country for local fishing.

I'm 3 minutes from a canal, but I'd only fish it under armed guard, and 5 minutes from the Trent, which has plenty of roach, dace and perch but the bigger fish only feed at night and in the right conditions. It's good for a couple of hours evening fishing early season. I almost invariably drive over both on my way to more attractive places.

Within 30 - 40 mins drive I've got some great Trent stretches, the Derwent, the Soar and the Erewash, together with some good stillwaters and four canals. Most of my fishing takes about half an hour to get to, though I don't mind occasional expeditions taking an hour.

It's hard to generalise about travel time. Early or late in the day, I can get to a venue 20 miles away in half an hour. Catch the traffic wrong and it will take an hour to get home from a lake 8 miles up the road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    I definitely seem to live in the wrong part of the country for local fishing.
    I think a move is in order mate,my old mate in Christcurch has the Throop a few hundred yards away,so is 5/15 minutes away depending on traffic from the Royalty and tidal Stour,the sea is just a few minutes more,not sure about lakes,but I know he has plenty...
    Last edited by whitty; 07-11-2019 at 09:26.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I think a move is in order mate,my old mate in Christcurch has the Throop a few hundred yards away,so is 5/15 minutes away depending on traffic from the Royalty and tidal Stour,the sea is just a few minutes more,not sure about lakes,but I know he has plenty...
    I did plan years ago on moving to Ringwood but life got in the way. Now until the mother-in-law pops off looks we are staying put. Then we will move nearer our son and daughter-in-law who are planning to move to Buckinghamshire.

Blog Entries

Circumstances always hinder our plans Steve...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast