How local is local

no-one in particular

Reaction score
May I just chip in about you saying you dont have a valid passport anymore. This may apply to others on here or who are caring for elderly relatives. Recently we had the ****ens of a job with bank and building society bureaucracy regarding my elderly mother. She had thrown her out of date passport and photo driving licence away as she would not use them.

They wanted photo ID. Even an out of date document would have been OK.

Ditto that, everyone wants proof and more proof of identity these days (I think it's just an authority power craze myself). It's a long story but I had my passport, birth certificate and driving licence thrown away by accident a few months ago. I have now replaced them all, as it happens they needed updating so not a lot lost but I dont drive anymore and am unlikely to travle abroad but I feel better with them.

Last edited:

MikeyF

Reaction score
I have two local ponds about 10 minutes away that are day ticket, evening ticket in the summer months, and I could get (hope to get) reasonable membership to (which opens up another pond) early next year. I'd probably travel to that for 2 hours, definitely for 3+. I also have some other local lakes/ponds under the control of an angling association within 10-15 minutes which would probably give me most of what I would want or need but would need to shell out £120+ for membership of, and the sea is 200m away.

That said I'll happily drive down the M27 to a cluster of commercials about 40-50 minutes away if I'm going to fish all day and need some better amenities (read loos and maybe a cafe) and some variety of scenery.

steve2

Reaction score
Have at last found some local fishing at a reasonable price. Only 10 minutes from home and not over stocked with carp.