How local is local

steve2

Reaction score
How local is your local fishing to where you live?
My nearest fishing on the waters I fish is around 25 miles away and taking into account the roads I have to use to get there can be up to an hour on a normal day.
When you pop out for a couple of hours fishing how far are you prepared to travel.

Gaston664

Reaction score
My closest is less than 10 minutes drive!

That being said though I've been going less recently, the owner is miserable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
I live two minutes walk from my local cut, but the actual good fishing spots I've found are then a 20 minute walk onwards from where I get onto the canal. I'll quite happily drive an hour and a half to Cudmore Fisheries on occasion for a bit of stocked lake fishing however

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

rich66

Reaction score
My club waters are 12 miles so about 25 minutes drive. I’ve a canal and it’s back water about 10 minutes drive which is not bad fishing either tbh.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My syndicate lake is just over two miles away. The nearest bit of river is about four miles. There are closer stillwaters and river stretches that I don't tend to frequent. The furthest I tend to travel to fish is about twenty miles. However, if I'm intending to fish for short periods, I'll stay as close as possible.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My house is directly across the road from the Durrington stretch of the Hampshire Avon although it is a private stretch I do have occasional permission to fish it.
Durrington was the home of Frank Sawyer, the river keeper and designer of flies like the PTN

Otherwise a three minutes drive takes me here for fish:

Avon Springs Fishing Lakes

I tend to fish the river section far more than the lakes though.

For coarse fishing then a few miles down the valley to Salisbury is all it takes to get to some decent roach, dace and chub venues.

These days I don't have to travel too far to fish but still enjoy the odd trip to the Royalty fishery when possible.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A few minutes stroll across the fields for river, stream and backwater fishing. A five minute drive to other river/backwater options if I fancy a change.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I don't normally go out for a couple of hours but if I do it's a small pool around 500M away as the crow flies, a social club pool.

peterjg

Reaction score
There is no fishing very close by but all within 35 minutes (in different directions) I have the Thames, Kennet, Loddon, Whitewater, Blackwater, Yateley Pits, Newbury Pits, the Frensham Ponds, Basingstoke Canal and K&A Canal. Currently a member of six clubs and a syndicate, spoilt for choice though I plan to drop 2 clubs ànd the syndicate next year.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I think I might win this one! River Dordogne (France) is at the bottom of the garden and with the recent rain, is making a decent job of covering it, so it’s only about 20 metres from the house to the water, needs about another 10 metre on the depth before we are in any flood danger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
Lucky to have a canal within walking distance now, maybe that's payback for those bus and train trips as a kid, even so I'll often drive somewhere that isn't match fished where the fish are pristine just to get away from it all

Mind you everything is local really when you have a car, mine's luxury it's got a heater and a stereo! the only issue is time with work and the short days now.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can see the sea from my top window and its about a 15min walk. Rivers-11miles, about 30mins on the bus, a park lake 10 mins away for a quick dabble but I don't use it much, too many rats. Several other venues both coarse and sea within 20 miles which is about my limit. I don't drive anymore so they are all on public transport stops which suits me. I have mastered traveling light for fishing. I have 4 bags, everything all made up, sea float, sea weight, fly, coarse and just the basics, no spares. I have only come unstuck once or twice in the last 10 years. A small price for lugging all that unnecessary stuff around.
A free bus pass is a boon and most of it is free so, apart from an odd day ticket here and there or a train fare, dead cheap for me.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
My favourite waters are all 10 minutes away at most. The closest decent stretches of river are double that. I have been known to drive to venues further afield when the hours are long and the weather warm. In poor weather the closer to home the better so I can just go home when fed up.

Im planning my next outing for my return weather permitting of course and it will be either lure or feeder fishing somewhere.:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I guess the nearest fishing to me is about 20 mins but the majority of what I like to do is a good hour away. I dont like the travelling but its necessary. There is shedloads of water close to me but its either canal or serious carping neither of which are really what I like to do anymore other than very occasionally.

I've ignored scabby commercials....there are a couple of those reasonably close too. Sadly...down here the traffic is such that even a short hop can take forever if you dont time it right....and then there is parking,or rather there isn't.

Another Dave

Reaction score
According to google maps measuring tool, 263.4 metres to my nearest swim.

rayner

Reaction score
I had two places that I fished, one about five minutes away that I have now dropped because the access road is too poor. Sad to say, Aston Park is the fishery, the access road as always been not good but it's deteriorated so much that it's very close to impassable now. The fishing
is top notch, but who pays for damaged springs.
The one I'm left with is mostly Carp dominated, I decided to fish there only. There are loads of commercial style fisheries within a 10 mile radius, I have to pass three venues to get to my preferred one.

steve2

Reaction score
I've ignored scabby commercials....there are a couple of those reasonably close too. Sadly...down here the traffic is such that even a short hop can take forever if you dont time it right....and then there is parking,or rather there isn't.

I know what you mean I have to use the M25,A12 or A127 to get to mine all prone to long tailbacks. We now always take food and drink with us when using these roads.
I am now looking for waters near home for next season but the nearest mixed fishery to me is dead mans shoes waiting list.

john step

Reaction score
My nearest is 10mins walk. I can't say the owners are miserable cos I'm one.:wh
Other than that all stillwaters within 8 miles of clear Lincs roads.
Nearest rivers are the Trent and Witham both short of an hour.

PS the Boddington do was a different matter though. 110 miles. Wish it was closer for those roach.

Another Dave

Reaction score
How is the upper Chelmer and Can fishing these days?

Everywhere is so shallow and/or weedy, despite the rains. Chub averaging 1.5 - 2lbs are still plentiful, lots more perch these days (average 12oz), not heard of any decent sized pike for ages. Dace to a good size, roach are there although i never see anything bigger than 12oz.

In an ideal world I'd fish one of the spots where there's a deeper eddy under the rod tip and watch a float glide around in that while i flicked a few maggots out. In practice i can never make time for that kind of session and just grab my stream rod for an hour's lobworm based roving. I'v got to the stage where i'd be disappointed if i blanked on lobbies and would expect at least a perch or a chub.