Scierra boot waders

Ashley

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking at buying a pair of scierra waders with built in boot, but I am little concerned about the boot sizes as Scierra make them larger and they don't seem to match traditional sizes. I am a Uk 9 and from what I've read the 9/10 boot would be way too big, a better fit would be the 7.5/8, apparently. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Ashley.

John Keane

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking at buying a pair of scierra waders with built in boot, but I am little concerned about the boot sizes as Scierra make them larger and they don't seem to match traditional sizes. I am a Uk 9 and from what I've read the 9/10 boot would be way too big, a better fit would be the 7.5/8, apparently. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Ashley.

I haven’t had bootfoot waders for around 20+ yrs as I buy breathable waders and separate boots. The general wisdom for waders is to buy one size larger than your foot size to allow for thick socks. However manufacturers sizes vary wildly and you really need to try them on (I presume you are ordering them online). You’ll just have to bite the bullet and get the size that you think fits and return them for exchange if it doesn’t. I see from your details you are in Australia, so do general temperatures where you fish necessitate the use of very thick socks?

Ashley

Reaction score
I haven’t had bootfoot waders for around 20+ yrs as I buy breathable waders and separate boots. The general wisdom for waders is to buy one size larger than your foot size to allow for thick socks. However manufacturers sizes vary wildly and you really need to try them on (I presume you are ordering them online). You’ll just have to bite the bullet and get the size that you think fits and return them for exchange if it doesn’t. I see from your details you are in Australia, so do general temperatures where you fish necessitate the use of very thick socks?

Thanks for your response John. I do generally fish in the warmer months so I can get away with wearing thin socks.
You are correct I am looking to purchase online from UK or USA as I can't get breathable waders in Australia. If I do order the wrong size and have to send them back postage can be a killer.
Thanks

John Keane

Reaction score
Thanks for your response John. I do generally fish in the warmer months so I can get away with wearing thin socks.
You are correct I am looking to purchase online from UK or USA as I can't get breathable waders in Australia. If I do order the wrong size and have to send them back postage can be a killer.
Thanks

I see your dilemma. Don’t know a way round that one.

mikench

Reaction score
I would say that sizing of wellies and waders in the U.K. Is reliable. I have some Vass boot fit waders , muckboots and Preston wellies all in size 10 and they fit fine if a little big but that's how I like them. I'm a size 9- 9.5 in shoes ( dependant on width)and 10 -10.5 in trainers which I struggle with and no longer buy on line. You generally don't walk far in waders and you can fit insoles or wear thicker socks. If they are too tight they cannot comfortably be worn and so useless. Buy big ie 10 in a recognised brand. Sadly, at least in my case, feet get bigger as you get older and the opposite applies to other parts.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Scierra waders with separate wading boots and like so many others made the mistake getting one size larger . . . . . for some reason Scierra do make their boots extrememly large.

I ended up having to use extra socks and in inner sole for comfort and proper fit.