Vintage tackle

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
According to my missus, only until all the generation who (like me) grew up on Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing has gone!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Realistically, that has value because of who is selling it and who owned it previously. If it was in your local tackle shop, and had been owned by Fred Bloggs, they'd struggle to get £50 for it.

Beyond that, older gear will always have admirers that are prepared to pay for it. As time passes items get rarer then they tend to get more valuable, unless something further restricts desirability, or use, further down the line (fashion, laws etc).

I do value older gear, provided it's as good, or better, than anything newer. However, beyond the potential to make a few quid, I'd not buy old fishing gear just because it is old. I'd happily take a tidy Alcocks 1915 Avon or an Abu 507 because they are the equal to, or better than, modern alternatives

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it will only increase in value the older it gets. That's how antiques work.

Maybe I’m just too dismissive of the younger generation, I find it hard to believe they will value fishing equipment possibly used by their grand parents or a generation before. A mint iPhone boxed might be the collectors item of the future.

Philip

Reaction score
The value of something considered vintage now is unlikely to go down with time, although its not impossible.

Maybe just me but I dont really consider the net in question here as having the value put on it that it has because its vintage. I see it more just as a memorabilia item that a fan might want to pay for.

xenon

Reaction score
Maybe I’m just too dismissive of the younger generation, I find it hard to believe they will value fishing equipment possibly used by their grand parents or a generation before. A mint iPhone boxed might be the collectors item of the future.

Oh, I don't know-in my Dad's attic there is an ABU 506 and 4 piece persuader float rod-come the time I will be using them in ernest ASAP.

Reaction score
Fishing is losing its popularity,not many kids that were introduced to fishing continue into adulthood,therefore the demand for vintage tackle will wane,there will always be weirdos who put gear in glass cases yes,but I'm afraid people buried in graveyards don't buy tackle....

peterjg

Reaction score
Of course there are exceptions but most old tackle compared to quality new tackle is absolute rubbish!

mikench

Reaction score
Fishing is losing its popularity,not many kids that were introduced to fishing continue into adulthood,therefore the demand for vintage tackle will wane,there will always be weirdos who put gear in glass cases yes,but I'm afraid people buried in graveyards don't buy tackle....

They do if they are Free Spirits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I take it that has reference to a certain 'weirdoh'????

steve2

Reaction score
That landing net is not even old it’s a modern reproduction just like all modern reproduction cane rods.
My brother deals in antiques and says because something is old it doesn’t mean it as any value just what some mug is willing to pay for it.
So get for it what you can today because tomorrow it could be worth a whole lot less. Today’s antique is tomorrow’s junk.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Or today’s junk is tomorrow’s antique, some of the stuff we used to throw away when I was a kid as junk now worth a mint, breaks my heart.
Personally I love a bit of cork and cane but not wicker, spotted an old fishing basket last week on a top shelf in an antique shop, the lady got it down for me and it was a broken wreck and covered in mould, she wanted £30 for it, ****** that but if it was one of Chris Yates throwaways who knows although he looks the type who recycles everything..

steve2

Reaction score
Or today’s junk is tomorrow’s antique, some of the stuff we used to throw away when I was a kid as junk now worth a mint, breaks my heart.

You must have had for better junk than I did. When I go round a auctions and see what I had on sale it's only worth a couple of ponds if that. It's normally in with a pile of mixed items sold to you for £5.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The snag is that it's difficult to second guess what might end up valuable years down the line. I can just remember the last of the Alcocks Match Aerials still hanging around in a local tackle shop. I'm not that old, so it must have been well after they stopped making them. I guess the shop concerned got quite a few for a good price. Even though they weren't overly expensive, they couldn't shift them. They still had them when the shop went under in the late eighties. Thirty years on, people would fight over them and they'd be worth far, far more than the inflationary increase on what they were failing to sell them for.

flightliner

Reaction score
The only "vintage" item of tackle I use these days is a tiny chubber float I made when I was in my teens.
Another seven years and my old optonics will also qualify!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Back in the mid to late 90s a lot of old and even relatively modern fishing books were fetching premium prices; anything by F J Taylor, Peter Stone, **** Walker, even Yates and plenty of others fetched very good prices and companies like Medlar brought out expensive reprints (typically £50). Yates Casting at the Sun was making over £200. One local angler to me said he regarded his substantial book collection as his additional pension but how prices have fallen. Very few want leather-bound books now and very few books realise the premium prices anymore. Sometimes a high price would flush out a load of books so the price would drop - this happened with Casting at the Sun which can be picked up for much less now (£30). Funnily enough Yates' The Deepening Pool was remaindered off at about £8 then became scarce, fetching £60+, and now it's not hard to find a copy at a reasonable price again.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that I'd consider Barder rods or landing nets as being "vintage" per se . . . . . I have a Barder Merlin that was quite expensive but is only 25 years old.

I also have two keep nets that once belonged to Richard Walker (with provenance from his wife) and those I would say were "vintage" and well worth the money I paid for them.

At the other end of the scale I have a mint condtion Allcocks Taperflash, definitely vintage, but it only cost aout £25 when bought it 10 years ago.

A decent Mk IV Avon or Carp split cane rod sells today for around £150 while a Wallis Wizard in good condition will fetch £350 or more, so a lot depends on the rod, its provenance and the history that goes with it.

The modern equivalents, like those from Barder or Linsley will go for quite stunning prices . . . . even though not truly "vintage" . . . .