Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage tackle

Default Vintage tackle

I was just looking at this eye popping sale.

Richard Walker-style Carp Net, previously owned by Chris Yates. - The Edward Barder Rod Company

Set me to thinking, just how many more years will “vintage” tackle have any value?

Default Re: Vintage tackle

According to my missus, only until all the generation who (like me) grew up on Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing has gone!

it will only increase in value the older it gets. That's how antiques work.

Realistically, that has value because of who is selling it and who owned it previously. If it was in your local tackle shop, and had been owned by Fred Bloggs, they'd struggle to get £50 for it.

Beyond that, older gear will always have admirers that are prepared to pay for it. As time passes items get rarer then they tend to get more valuable, unless something further restricts desirability, or use, further down the line (fashion, laws etc).

I do value older gear, provided it's as good, or better, than anything newer. However, beyond the potential to make a few quid, I'd not buy old fishing gear just because it is old. I'd happily take a tidy Alcocks 1915 Avon or an Abu 507 because they are the equal to, or better than, modern alternatives
    Last edited by sam vimes; 16-11-2019 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    it will only increase in value the older it gets. That's how antiques work.

Maybe I’m just too dismissive of the younger generation, I find it hard to believe they will value fishing equipment possibly used by their grand parents or a generation before. A mint iPhone boxed might be the collectors item of the future.

The value of something considered vintage now is unlikely to go down with time, although its not impossible.

Maybe just me but I dont really consider the net in question here as having the value put on it that it has because its vintage. I see it more just as a memorabilia item that a fan might want to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Maybe I’m just too dismissive of the younger generation, I find it hard to believe they will value fishing equipment possibly used by their grand parents or a generation before. A mint iPhone boxed might be the collectors item of the future.
    Oh, I don't know-in my Dad's attic there is an ABU 506 and 4 piece persuader float rod-come the time I will be using them in ernest ASAP.

Blog Entries

Fishing is losing its popularity,not many kids that were introduced to fishing continue into adulthood,therefore the demand for vintage tackle will wane,there will always be weirdos who put gear in glass cases yes,but I'm afraid people buried in graveyards don't buy tackle....

Of course there are exceptions but most old tackle compared to quality new tackle is absolute rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Fishing is losing its popularity,not many kids that were introduced to fishing continue into adulthood,therefore the demand for vintage tackle will wane,there will always be weirdos who put gear in glass cases yes,but I'm afraid people buried in graveyards don't buy tackle....
    They do if they are Free Spirits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast