Chub Catching Methods

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Most of my better days after Chub have been on bread flake using either a float or a link leger, or a smallish piece of bread crust on a light link leger; together with small squeezed bread pieces as loose feed.

Ive also had some good days on the bottom using bread paste mixed with raw onion juice (no lumps) and I’ve also caught quite a few lunkers on peeled prawn on a small link leger over the years.

Keith

I missed this one. Very very interesting. How do you prepare the onion juice? just fresh onion in a blender?

Also, which sort of prawn do you mean? raw or cooked? when I was fishing in Belgium someone told me to try prawn for barbel, he referred to an entire cooked prawn. Not tried yet.
It's amazing how many baits could work!!

seth49

Reaction score
Used to float fish shrimps for salmon a good few years ago, used to get some big chub on them as well, even though they were dyed purple it didn’t put them off.

squatt

Reaction score
I like to walk up the river putting several pieces of cheese paste into a handful of likely spots then fish each one thinking i've got em all lined up. Works really well, i do much better than when i don't prebait the swims.

Another Dave

Reaction score
I like to walk up the river putting several pieces of cheese paste into a handful of likely spots then fish each one thinking i've got em all lined up. Works really well, i do much better than when i don't prebait the swims.

Makes sense because it would keep the fish hanging around exactly where you want them. Must get round to trying this one day, my local stretch would be ideal.

Welcome to FM by the way.

flightliner

Reaction score
When I fished the North Yorks rivers I always had two rods set up, a float rod and a feeder.
Always started with the float and flake that often took a chub or two then before moving went on the feeder rod with flake, meat or lob.
On a Notts pit that had some lovely chub I used a simple paternostered chunk of mackerel on a six hook where bites were solid lifts up to the butt ring!

squatt

Reaction score
Makes sense because it would keep the fish hanging around exactly where you want them. Must get round to trying this one day, my local stretch would be ideal.

Welcome to FM by the way.

Cheers Another Dave, give it a go, produces more chub than fishing "blind" in my opinion.